Scope and Content
Call Number: SC0583
Title: Stanford Bookstore records
6 Linear feet
Language(s): The materials are in English.
Department of Special Collections and University Archives
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-6064
Phone: (650) 725-1022
Gift of the Stanford Bookstore, 1999.
Information about Access
Ownership & Copyright
Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain
permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections and University
[Identification of item], Stanford Bookstore Records, SC 583, Stanford University Archives, Stanford, Calif.
The Stanford Bookstore is a non-profit association that was founded in 1897 by Stanford faculty. Association membership now
includes faculty, staff, and students. Seven members, two of whom must be drawn from the student membership, are elected to
a board of directors that supervises the operation of the Stanford Bookstore
Scope and Content
The records of the Stanford Bookstore date from 1897 to 1994 and include minutes, correspondence, reports, financial records,
leases, articles of incorporation and bylaws, contracts, and other miscellaneous items. The collection also includes one folder
of records from the L.S.J.U. Co-Operative Association, 1893-1897, an earlier attempt by faculty to organize a campus bookstore.
The collection is organized into the following series:
Series 1: Minutes, correspondence, and other records, 1893-78
Series 2: Business and legal records, 1897-1994
Series 3: Medical Store records, 1978-1988
Series 4: Miscellany
L.S.J.U. Co-Operative Association..
Booksellers and bookselling--California.