Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Taylorsville Store Collection, 1858-1949
1618-1632  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (56.59 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Access Points
  • Contents
  • History
  • Correspondents
  • Related Collections

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Taylorsville Store Collection,
    Date (inclusive): 1858-1949
    Box Number: 1618-1632
    Collector: Taylorsville Store (Taylorsville, Calif.)
    Repository: California State Library
    Sacramento, California
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information

    Access

    Unrestricted.

    Conditions of Use

    Please credit California State Library.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to California State Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing. Permission for publication is given on behalf of California State Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Taylorsville Store Collection, California State Library.

    Access Points

    Taylorsville (Calif.)--History
    Retail trade--California--History

    Contents

    Deeds, agreements, legal documents, banking records, invoices, receipts, correspondence, accounting records, Taylorsville Creamery records, stock certificates

    History

    The Taylorsville General Store was originally owned and operated by Cunningham and Henry Holthouse in Plumas County, California. Holthouse then changed partners and the ownership became Holthouse and Whitlock. In 1869, William G. Young purchased Henry Holthouse's share of the store and ownership of the Taylorsville Store remained in the Young family through the 1980's. In addition to handling the general store business, the owners also engaged in other enterprises. They have been Wells Fargo agents, insurance agents, and postmasters. They also owned a creamery and a telephone company.

    Correspondents

    • Baum, J., & Co.
    • Beaver Company
    • Bradstreet, J.M., & Son
    • Brooks, E.R.
    • Builders Insurance Co.
    • Burleson, A.S.
    • Clark, S.J.
    • Cowell, Henry, Lime and Cement Co.
    • France, G.W.
    • Garvin, S.O.
    • Goodwin, J.D.
    • Hartford Fire Insurance Company
    • Hosselkus, F.B.
    • Herring, Mrs.
    • Lilley & Thurston Co.
    • Liverpool & London & Globe Insurance Company Limited
    • McCann, Flood, McArthur (?)
    • McIntyre, Mrs.
    • Mebius & Drescher Co.
    • Mercantile Agency
    • Moore, A.S.
    • Nap-A-Tan Shoe Co.
    • National War Savings Committee
    • Nicholas, Thos. H.
    • Page Woven Wire Fence Co.
    • Regina Company
    • Retailers' Credit Association
    • Royal Insurance Company
    • Sperry Flour Company.
    • Standard Fashion Company
    • Taylor, J.L., and Co.
    • United States. Forest Service
    • United States. Land Office
    • Weinstock-Nichols Company
    • Young, R.W.
    • Young, Stanley C.

    Related Collections

    Title: Sincerity Lodge Collection