One bound ledger records maintenance to the bridge between March 1, 1944 to March 30, 1946. Colorful ink drawings embellish
the endpapers. There are also a few clippings regarding the bridge's history. A few photographs have been filed with the Museum's
The Tower Bridge, which spans the Sacramento River from the foot of Capitol Mall (M Street) to West Sacramento replaced an
earlier swing-span bridge. Rails were first laid across that bridge in 1912 to carry the trains of the Sacramento & Woodland
and the Oakland, Antioch & Eastern Railroads (which were later merged into the Sacramento Northern Railroad). During the sixteen-month
construction period, automobile traffic was routed across the M Street Bridge, while the Sacramento Northern electric trains
operated across a temporary wood bridge, located just adjacent upstream. The new bridge was dedicated December 15, 1935. The
last Sacramento Northern train over the Tower Bridge operated on November 15, 1962.
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Senior
Curator. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the
physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained by the reader.