Scope and Content
Title: Children's Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association Papers,
Date (inclusive): 1905-1987
Collection number: MSS 98-20; 91-101
Creator: Children's Hospital School of Nursing
Extent: 5 cartons, 1 oversize box (89-20); 1 carton, 1 box (91-101)
University of California, San Francisco. Library. Archives and Special Collections.
San Francisco, California 94143-0840
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
Received 3/31/89 from Mary Issel; 11/15/89 from Kathleen Allan; 10/28/91 from Mary Issel;
12/10/91 from Vivian Holdsworth (materials from her class, 1944-47); 1/30/92 from
Kathleen Allan (scrapbook of Mrs. Rogers, housemother, 1950s); student uniform from M.
Lemos 2/21/92; photograph Class of 1951, capping ceremony program 1947, from Vivian
Holdsworth 3/13/92, Harriot O. Robbins 6/8/92.
[Identification of item], Children's Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association
Papers, MSS 98-20; 91-101, Archives & Special Collections, UCSF Library & CKM
Mrs. Dr. Charlotte Blake Brown, Mrs. Dr. Martha E. Bucknell, and ten San Francisco women
founded Children's Hospital (then called the Pacific Dispensary for Women and Children)
on February 26, 1875. From a $30-a-month group of rooms at 520 Taylor Street, the
Dispensary moved six times before arriving, in 1887, at its current location at
California Street near Maple.
In 1880, while the Dispensary was located at the two-story Hoyt House at 22nd and Mission
Streets, the Training School for Nurses was founded. It was the first such school west of
the Rocky Mountains. At the time of its founding there was one pupil, Jessie Astredo. The
motto of the school was "Be Ye Faithful." The designated uniform was gray with a white
apron and cap. The course required one year to complete.
Supported with difficulty by private donations and funds from bazaars, the Dispensary
organization incorporated in 1885 as "Children's Hospital --A Hospital for Children and
Training School for Nurses."
The Children's Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association --the oldest such
association on the Pacific Coast --was founded in 1901. It has been active in promoting
and maintaining high standards of nursing care, as well as setting up special funds to
aid members and students.
Children's Hospital School of Nursing accepted its last class in 1955. The school's final
class of seventeen students graduated on August 23, 1957.
Scope and Content
This collection contains minutes, correspondence, notes, newsletters, reports, yearbooks,
financial records, membership lists, scrapbooks, photographs, clippings, forms and other
documents and publications relating to the School and the Alumnae Association.
Accession 91-101 (one box, one carton) appears to be the 10/28/91 acession from Mary
Issel, and is minimally processed. A container list for this accession appears at the end
of this document.