Scope and Content
Collection Title: Ernest Coxhead Collection,
Date (inclusive): 1919-1988
Collection Number: 1983-1
Coxhead, Ernest, 1863-1933
Extent: 1 half box, 3 oversize folders
Repository: Environmental Design Archives. College of Environmental Design. University of California, Berkeley. Berkeley, California
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the
[Identification of item], Ernest Coxhead Collection, (1983-1), Environmental Design Archives. College of Environmental Design.
University of California, Berkeley. Berkeley, California
Ernest Albert Coxhead was born in Eastbourne, England in 1863. He received his architectural training at the Royal Academy
and Architectural Association in London. In 1886, Coxhead moved with his brother Almeric to Los Angeles, where the two began
their archtitecture practice. Four years later they moved to San Francisco, where they remained until retirement.
At the beginning of his career, Ernest Coxhead focused on designing churches, primarily in the Gothic Revival style. His church
of St. John the Evangelist in the Mission District was destroyed by the 1906 fire, but his Episcopal Church in Petaluma, California,
and eleven (out of 17) church buildings remain in California.
After the mid 1890s, Coxhead focused on residential designs. He was involved in the emergence of the Arts and Crafts style
in California, and his designs reflect that style. His residences include townhouses in San Francisco and large homes in Palo
Alto, Alameda, and Berkeley.
From 1918 to 1919, Coxhead went to LeMans, France, to organize and direct the A.E.F. School of Architecture for members of
the United States armed forces stationed in France. He was subsequently appointed Chief of the University Extension Field
Work of the Fine Arts Department at the University School of Architecture in Beaune, France.
Coxhead returned to the United States and lived in Berkeley until his death in 1933.
Scope and Content
The Ernest Coxhead collection consists of photographs and drawings of residences designed by Coxhead and Coxhead, photographs
of the A.E.F. School of Architecture in LeMans (circa 1919), and miscellaneous clippings of images and poetry. Coxhead's personal
papers, professional papers, and a few project photos were donted to the archives in 1983, but the majority of project-related
records were acquired separately by various donors.
Title: Ernest Coxhead drawings, designs, and blueprints,
Identifier/Call Number: 71/127c,
Contributing Institution: The Bancroft Library