Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Stanford University, Planning Office, Records SC0486
SC0486  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (188.89 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Separated Materials note
  • Scope and Contents Note
  • Historical Note
  • Preferred Citation:
  • Publication rights:
  • Access Restrictions:
  • Arrangement note
  • Custodial History note

  • Title: Stanford University, Planning Office, records
    Identifier/Call Number: SC0486
    Contributing Institution: Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Description: 100.0 Linear feet
    Date (inclusive): 1945-2007
    Abstract: The records of the Planning Office date back to its orgins in 1945 and include correspondence, memoranda, minutes, reports, studies, surveys, maps, and plans.
    creator: Spencer, Eldridge T.
    creator: Stanford University. Planning Office.

    Separated Materials note

    Photographs originally part of accession ARCH-1990-052 were removed and catalogued separately as PC0062, Planning Office Photographs; please see the guide to that collection for further details.

    Scope and Contents Note

    The records of the Planning Office date back to its orgins in 1945 and include correspondence, memoranda, minutes, reports, studies, surveys, maps, and plans. The majority of the plans in this collection are 8 by 10 inch photographic reproductions of larger items, prepared for use in reports and publications. For larger format plans and drawings, please consult the University Archives Architectural Drawings Collection.

    Historical Note

    The Planning Office was officially organized in 1945 under the directorship of Eldridge T. Spencer. In addition to overseeing the architectural aspects of the campus, the office was also responsible for overseeing land use and traffic circulation. With the growth of the campus, the administration of planning activities has undergone several renovations. In 1972 the office was renamed Facilities Planning, Construction and Utilization; in 1978 it was known as Facilities Planning and Construction. In the 1980s these elements were handled by two offices: Facilities Project Management and the Planning Office.
    Other directors represented in these records include Spencer's successor, Harry Sanders, and Philip C. Williams, who became director in 1975.

    Preferred Citation:

    [Identification of item], Stanford University, Planning Office, Records (SC0486). Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.

    Publication rights:

    All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.

    Access Restrictions:

    Collection is open for research; materials must be requested at least 48 hours in advance of intended use.

    Arrangement note

    Materials are arranged by accession.

    Custodial History note

    The materials were received from the Planning Office in numerous transfers between 1987 and 2010.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Sanders, Harry L.
    Sanders, Harry L.
    Spencer, Eldridge T.
    Stanford University--Architecture.
    Stanford University--Buildings.
    Stanford University--Planning.
    Stanford University. -- General subdivision--Buildings.;
    Williams, Philip C.
    Williams, Philip C.