The records of the Planning Office date
back to its orgins in 1945 and include correspondence, memoranda, minutes, reports, studies,
surveys, maps, and plans.
The Planning Office was officially organized in 1945 under the directorship of Eldridge T.
Spencer. In addition to overseeing the architectural aspects of the campus, the office was
also responsible for overseeing land use and traffic circulation. With the growth of the
campus, the administration of planning activities has undergone several renovations. In 1972
the office was renamed Facilities Planning, Construction and Utilization; in 1978 it was
known as Facilities Planning and Construction. In the 1980s these elements were handled by
two offices: Facilities Project Management and the Planning Office.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must
be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford
University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special
Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply
permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright
owner, heir(s) or assigns. See:
Collection is open for research; materials must be requested at least 48 hours in advance
of intended use.