Negatives, contact sheets, and prints of exterior and interior shots of the Stanfords' Sacramento residence; the bulk of the
photographs were taken on January 18, 1985, with the remainder taken in August 1986.
In 1861, the same year he was elected governor of California, Leland Stanford purchased the former Shelton C. Fogus mansion
in Sacramento. Over the years, Jane and Leland Stanford substantially enlarged the house. It remained one of the Stanfords'
residences until 1900, when Jane Stanford gave it to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sacramento to be used as an orphanage.
It is now a State Historic Park.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
This collection is open for research.