Records of the University of Southern California School of Library Science (1936-1986), including those of Martha Boaz, Dean
of the School from 1955-1978. Consists of correspondence, notes, minutes, manuscripts, scrapbooks, publications, and ephemera
related to the School's educational and administrative activites.
The USC School of Library Science originated from an organized instructional program provided by the Los Angeles Public Library.
This program, started in 1891 for the Library's employees, remained a training class until 1914 when the Library instituted
a formal one-year library school program. Classes at LAPL terminated in 1932 due to fiscal problems. Summer sessions held
at the University of Southern California from 1933-1936 met the need for library training in the region. After four years
of pressure from the Alumni Association of the Public Library for a graduate library school, USC finally acquiesced and officially
inaugurated a School of Library Service in September 1936. The school's name was changed in June of the following year to
the School of Library Science. In 1980, the School altered its name once again, this time to reflect the changing occupational
climate. Accompanied by an entirely redesigned program, the newly dubbed School of Library and Information Management veered
away from providing solely traditional library school courses and offered students three areas of specialization: library
science, information science, and information management.
29.1 Linear feet
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist.
Permission for publication is given on behalf of University Archives as the owner of the physical material, and is not intended
to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Collection is open for research, except where restriction is noted. Collection is stored off-site and advance notice is required