This collection contains the minutes of the general and executive board meetings, financial records, club histories, and clipping
files of the disbanded club.
On April 20, 1920 a group of women from Paradise met to protest the sale of acreage in Sierra Park for the operation of a
hog farm. Realizing the necessity for group action, the Women's Improvement Club was formed that day and Mrs. L.A. McAndless
was named president and Jessie Coleman, the founding secretary. At the second meeting in July 1920, the club took action by
purchasing the first lots in Sierra Park, the heart of the community and blocking the hog farm. Later more lots were bought
with a purchase price of about five dollars each and eventually in the 1940s these lots were sold to fund other projects.
Property rights reside with the University of California. Literary rights are retained by the creators of the records and
their heirs. For permission to publish or to reproduce the material, please contact the Head of Special Collections and Archives.
Collection open for research.