A guide to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area National Maritime Museum photographs and media, 1977-1988

Processed by: Amy Croft (Fall 2011); accretions by L. Bianchi (Spring 2012).
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
Phone: 415-561-7030
Fax: 415-556-3540
SAFR_Historic_Documents@nps.gov
URL: http://www.nps.gov/safr
2012

A Guide to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area National Maritime Museum photographs and media

P91-069

San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, National Park Service
2012, National Park Service

Title: Golden Gate National Recreation Area National Maritime Museum photographs and media
Date: 1977-1988
Identifier/Call Number: P91-069 (SAFR 22245)
creator: Golden Gate National Recreation Area (Agency : U.S.)
Physical Description: 1516 items. Some items available online.
Repository: San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, Historic Documents Department
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
Abstract: The Golden Gate National Recreation Area National Maritime Museum photographs and media, 1977-1988 (SAFR 22245, P91-069) consists of 3.2 linear feet of materials created by Golden Gate National Recreation Area National Maritime Museum staff during the course of their work on facilities and ships from 1977-1988. The collection is described at the file unit level with items listed, and is open for use without restriction.
Physical Location: San Francisco Maritime NHP, Historic Documents Department
Language(s): In English.

Access

This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.

Publication and Use Rights

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Processing Note

Note on Description: The descriptions in this collection guide were compiled using the best available sources of information. Such sources include the creator's annotations or descriptions, collection accession files, primary and secondary source material and subject matter experts. While every effort was made to provide accurate information, in the event that you find any errors in this guide please contact the reference staff in order for us to evaulate and make corrections to this guide.
Please cite the title and collection number in any correspondence with our staff.
The original accessions have been physically left together and are housed within the boxes in accession number order, with later accessions at the end of the box. The material has been intellectually arranged in the finding aid in chronological order while the physical locations will remain fixed. If new material is added to this collection it will be physically placed at the end of the collection and intellectually arranged in chronological order in the finding aid for ease of access.

Preferred Citation

[Item description], [Location within collection organization identified by Collection Number/Series Number/File Unit Number/Item Number], P91-069 (SAFR 22245), Golden Gate National Recreation Area National Maritime Museum photographs and media, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park

Acquisition Information

SAFR-00397
SAFR-00401, SAFR-00724, SAFR-02195, SAFR-01768, SAFR-01297
The materials in the collection were transferred and accessioned into the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park over several years and placed in this collection. The following is an explanation of the chain of custody and provenance for each accession.
Accession SAFR- 00397 This material was transferred in 1988 by Steve Hastings (SAFR-00397) of Golden Gate National Recreation Area to the museum collection. The materials were accessioned by San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park in 1991 along with a mix of other material found in the park. The photographs have been cataloged in this collection (P91-069, SAFR 22245). Some manuscript material was cataloged as the National Maritime Museum records (HDC 651, SAFR 9399).
Accession SAFR-00401 On October 4, 1991, SAFR-00401 was accessioned. It contained photographs and motion picture film created by the San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park and was cataloged as (P91-078, SAFR 22247). The accession also contained material created by the staff while they were part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area National Maritime Museum, which has been cataloged in this collection (P91-069, SAFR 22245). Accession SAFR-00401 also contained some images of Fleet Week in October 1984 which has been cataloged as P09-008 (SAFR 22236).
Accession SAFR-00724 On August 4, 1993, 0.5 cubic feet of photographic material and 86 color slides were accessioned as SAFR-00724. This accession contained documentation of museum vessel restoration projects which was removed from the EUREKA wheelhouse office on June 10, 1988. The material appears to have been collected by former ships manager Steve Hastings.
Accession SAFR-02195 On November 18, 2011, photographs showing repair work on the bowsprit of the C.A. THAYER, circa 1983-1984 and photographs showing repair work on the ALMA, circa 1983 were found in an oversized drawer with unprocessed items in the photograph vault. The materials were previously found in the EUREKA wheelhouse in the 1980s when Glennie Wall moved in. These materials were formally accessioned on November 29, 2011.
Accession SAFR-01768 On December 6, 2002, nine photographs documenting the exterior repainting of the Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building in 1988 were accessioned as SAFR-01768. The prints are a field collection by SAFR staff, found in the accession file for SAFR-00001 (GOGA-00147). Accrued to SAFR 22245 on January 31, 2012.
Accession SAFR-01297 In 1998, four films were accessioned as a part of a field collection of films used by park rangers for interpretation. The one film reel containing interpretive information about C.A. THAYER was accrued to SAFR 22245 on March 30, 2012.

Historical or Biographical Note

The San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park was established in 1956 and existed under this name until 1977 when it became the National Maritime Museum, part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. In 1988 the National Maritime Museum (sometimes referred to as the Maritime Unit) became a separate national park called the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, the name it is still known by today.
The San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park (SFMNHP) provides services for millions of visitors annually and acts as a custodian for historic vessels, small watercraft, museum artifacts, archives and a maritime library. The SFMNHP is responsible for maintaining 35 acres of urban parkland which include the Aquatic Park Bathhouse (a National Historic Landmark which serves as a museum exhibit facility), the Hyde Street Pier (where the historic vessels are moored), and the Haslett Warehouse. Five of the historic vessels moored on Hyde Street Pier are designated National Historic Landmarks: the ALMA, BALCLUTHA, EUREKA, HERCULES, and C.A. THAYER. The park also operates a library and archives in a Historic Landmark building at nearby Fort Mason which houses a variety of documents, vessel plans, photographs, motion picture film, books, periodicals and oral histories.
Many of the park's programs and collections were formed by several predecessor organizations. In 1941 the San Francisco Museum of Science and Industry opened through the efforts of Mrs. Alma de Bretteville Spreckels. It was comprised mainly of an impressive collection of ship models and artifacts, which were exhibited at Aquatic Park and various other locations in the Bay Area during World War II.
The San Francisco Maritime Museum Association (SFMMA) was formed in 1950 and provided funding for the purchase of the first of the historic sailing vessels in 1954. BALCLUTHA was restored and opened to visitors at Hyde Street Pier in 1955. In 1956, a bill was passed through the state legislature that called for the purchase of the schooners C.A. THAYER and WAPAMA, and also created the San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park.
The resources needed for the state park were underestimated and both the state and SFMMA turned to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) for help. In 1977, the San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park became the National Maritime Museum, part of the GGNRA. However, the Maritime Museum's visibility (and fund-raising opportunities) was swallowed up as part of this large, disperse national park. To gain more direct federal support for the maintenance-intensive historic sailing vessels and preserve visibility, the National Maritime Museum became a separate national park in 1988.
[Agency History written by SAFR staff (primarily Lisbit Bailey). Revised by Amy Croft, October 2011.]

GGNRA National Maritime Museum Chronology

1977 September 16 The San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park became the National Maritime Museum, part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area
1982 National Maritime Museum completes its first Scope of Collections Statement
1983-1984? C.A. THAYER masts replaced
1984 Apr WAPAMA becomes a National Historic Landmark
1984 Aug ALMA's mast damaged after hitting Black Point Bridge in Novato, California
1985 Feb BALCLUTHA becomes a National Historic Landmark
1985 Feb EUREKA becomes a National Historic Landmark
1986 Jan HERCULES becomes a National Historic Landmark
1987 May Aquatic Park becomes a National Historic Landmark
1987 Aquatic Park is designated a National Historic Landmark District
1988 Jun ALMA becomes a National Historic Landmark
1988 Jun 27 National Maritime Museum became a separate national park: San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
Sources:
Rothman, Hal K. The Park that Makes its Own Weather; An Administrative History of Golden Gate National Recreation Area, 2002. http://www.nps.gov/goga/historyculture/publications.htm, accessed November 2011.
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park - Historic Vessels (U.S. National Park Service). http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/historic-vessels.htm
Historic Vessel Histories
ALMA:
The scow schooner ALMA was built in 1891 in Fred Siemer's shipyard at Hunters Point (in the southeastern section of San Francisco).
Fred Siemer came to San Francisco from Germany in 1865 and started his own shipyard at Hunters Point. He constructed two scow schooners and named the first after his daughter Adelia. After Adelia married, Siemer built the second scow for his son-in-law, James Peterson. That boat was constructed in Peterson's front yard in 1891 and was named for Peterson's daughter, Alma.
ALMA's construction was not unique, but it was unusual; her bottom planking was laid athwaratships (side-to-side) instead of fore-and-aft. Called "log built" because the horizontally laid planks were quite thick, scows like ALMA traded a bit of speed and ease-of-repair for economy and strength. ALMA hauled a wide variety of cargoes during her career. She carried hay and lumber under sail, and after Peterson removed her masts in 1918, she freighted sacks of Alviso salt while being towed as a barge. Frank Resech, who purchased the vessel in 1926, installed a gasoline engine in her, and from then until 1957 her cargo was exclusively oyster shell - carried in a 22' by 36' wooden bin installed on deck.
A number of sailing scows ended up as oyster shell dredges. The shell was free for the taking and vast deposits lay in the San Francisco Bay. Both Resech and his wife lived and worked aboard ALMA for a time; Mrs. Resech handled the steering while her husband operated the dredging machinery. During those days, ALMA hauled 110-125 tons of shell per week to Petaluma, California, where it was ground and used for chicken feed.
In 1943, Resech sold the vessel to Peter John Gambetta, who continued to operate her as a dredger until 1957. When Gambetta retired ALMA she was still seaworthy, but no longer profitable. The State of California purchased ALMA as she lay on the Alviso mudflats in 1959, and restoration work began in 1964. She was transferred to the National Park Service in 1978, and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1988. ALMA is now part of the San Francisco Maritime Historical Park's fleet of historic vessels at Hyde Street Pier. She sails every season and participates in the revived Master Mariners Regatta every May.
[Historical information taken from http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/alma-history.htm, accessed October 27, 2011]
BALCLUTHA:
BALCLUTHA (built 1886; ship, 3m: museum ship) is one of the last surviving steel-hulled, full-rigged ships. She was involved in the 19th century Pacific Coast grain trade, Pacific Coast lumber trade, 20th century Pacific Coast salmon packing trade, and was a tourist attraction before becoming a museum ship of the San Francisco Maritime Museum in 1954.
She was built by Charles Connell & Co. in Scotstoun, Scotland for the British merchant ensign trade, mostly transporting coal to the Pacific Coast of the United States and returning to Europe with grain and general cargo. Because of the months-long ocean voyage, BALCLUTHA made only one round-trip per year while engaged in the Europe-to-San Francisco grain trade. During the mid-1890s the ship called at other ports around the world as well.
In 1899, BALCLUTHA was transferred to Hawaiian registry, joining the Pacific Coast lumber trade. For three years the ship sailed north to Puget Sound, Washington, and then across the Pacific Ocean to Australia. Much of lumber she carried was used for mining timbers in the Broken Hill Mine at Port Pirie, Australia. She was the last vessel to fly the flag of the Hawaiian Kingdom.
As the demand for wooden deep-sea cargo vessels decreased, BALCLUTHA was put on the market and the Alaska Packers Association purchased the vessel in 1906 to ship livestock and supplies to the remote canneries in southwest Alaska. At this time, she was renamed the STAR OF ALASKA. She sailed to the Chignik salmon cannery every year from 1906 to 1929, spending the summer months in Alaska, returning to San Francisco in the fall, and wintering in the Alaska Packer's shipyard in Alameda. During the winter the ship was laid up with the rest of the Packer's fleet of thirty-odd vessels, and shipwrights performed maintenance and renovation on the vessels. In 1911, the STAR OF ALASKA's poop deck was extended to house Italian and Scandinavian fishermen. Later, additional bunks were added in the "tween deck for Chinese cannery workers. As STAR OF ALASKA, she carried a crew of twenty-six men; over 200 men made the trip north.
The ship again became obsolete and it was sold to Frank and Rose Kissinger in 1933. They purchased the vessel with the intent of creating a money making attraction. At times, the Kissingers took her up and down the coast of California, exhibiting her as a "pirate ship." She was moored near Catalina Island and San Pedro, and served as a prop in the movies "Mutiny on the Bounty and Souls at Sea," before a 1940 trip to San Francisco for display at Pier 43 for the World's Fair. She returned to southern California in 1946 and continued to be an attraction. The vessel slowly deteriorated during this time, barely escaping World War II scrap metal drives.
By 1952, negotiations had begun with the San Francisco Maritime Museum to purchase the vessel from the Kissingers. Mr. Kissinger passed away the same year and deliberations continued with Mrs. Kissinger. The Maritime Museum was eventually able to purchase the vessel, and from 1954 to 1955 completed restoration to return her to her form when she sailed as the STAR OF INDIA. She was returned to Pier 43 for display. The ship was transferred to the National Park Service in 1978, and BALCLUTHA was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985. In 1988, she was moved from Pier 43 to the Hyde Street Pier, where she is still moored today.
For a more detailed history, consult the Historic American Buildings Survey, Engineering Record, Landscapes Survey: Ship BALCLUTHA, 2905 Hyde Street Pier, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA : http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/hh/item/ca1493/. This contains photographs, plans, and an extensive history of the vessel researched by Norman J. Brouwer for her inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places, NRIS Number: 76000178.
Sources: Balclutha History. (n. d.). San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park. Retrieved on October 4, 2012, from http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/balclutha-history.htm
General Services Administration. (1960). Reference Report from the National Archives and Records Administration. Found in Star of Alaska, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park binder, vm 6.5 B3 s7 pam.
SHIP BALCLUTHA (Ship Star of Alaska) (Ship Pacific Queen). HAER No. CA-54. Historic American Engineering Record. Accessed on August 24, 2012 from http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/ca/ca1400/ca1493/data/ca1493data.pdf
C.A. THAYER:
The C.A. THAYER is a three-masted schooner built in Fairhaven, California, in 1895. The original hull was made of dense, old-growth Douglas fir carefully chosen for shipbuilding. She was named for Clarence A. Thayer, a partner in the San Francisco-based E.K. Wood Lumber Company. This schooner is representative of hundreds that sailed the Pacific Coast in the early 1900s. C.A. THAYER is 219 feet in length and has a cargo capacity of 575,000 board feet (1,360 cubic meters). She carried about half of her load below deck, with the remaining lumber stacked ten feet high on deck. In port, her small crew of eight or nine men were also responsible for loading and unloading the ship. Unloading 75,000 to 80,000 board feet (180 to 190 cubic meters) was an average day's work.
The C.A. THAYER had several careers: it carried lumber to 1912, was a salt and salmon packet to 1924, and was in the cod fishery to 1950, when it was the last commercially working sailing vessel on the west coast. The ship had a number of owners during this time: E.K. Wood Lumber Co. (S.F.) (1895-1912); Captain Peter Nelson (S.F.) (1912-1925); Pacific Coast Codfishing (Seattle) (1925-1952); Charles Macneil (Seattle) (1952-1957).
The State of California purchased the C.A. THAYER in 1957. After preliminary restoration in Seattle, Washington, a volunteer crew sailed her down the coast to San Francisco. The San Francisco Maritime Museum performed more extensive repairs and refitting, and opened C.A. THAYER to the public in 1963. The vessel was transferred to the National Park Service in 1978, and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1984.
After 40 years as a museum ship, the C.A. THAYER has again been restored, a restoration which took three years starting in 2004, which resulted in her temporary removal from her berth at the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park. Approximately 80% of the ship's timbers were replaced with new timbers matching the original wood. The ship sailed back to the Hyde Street Pier on April 12, 2007. She is currently missing her masts and bowsprit.
[History written by SAFR staff and information also taken from http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/ca-thayer-history.htm, accessed October 27, 2011]
EPPLETON HALL:
The EPPLETON HALL was built in 1914 by the Hepple and Company of South Shields, England, for the Lambton and Hetton Collieries, Ltd. The vessel, named after the Lambton family's ancestral home, was designed to tow ocean-going colliers (coal-carrying vessels) to and from the port of Newcastle on the River Tyne. Coal was a booming business, and days of transit time were saved by towing the sailing vessels upriver to load. The vessel was also used to tow newly-built ships out to sea.
The EPPLETON HALL is a steam sidewheeler with side-lever engines, and is the only remaining intact example of a Tyne paddle tug. The vessel was engaged on the Wear and Tyne rivers of northeast England from 1914-1967 and she is a direct descendent of the first craft to go into commercial service as harbor tugs. In 1946, she was purchased by France Fenwick, Wear and Tyne Ltd., which operated her in the Wear River until 1964 (she is being restored to this period today).
The EPPLETON HALL's steam engines are descended from a type first developed in England in 1828. The two large side lever engines, often referred to as grasshopper engines, operate the paddle wheels independently, making the tug especially maneuverable in tight spots. Another unusual feature of the EPPLETON HALL is its hand-forged boilers designed to use seawater. Every six weeks the accumulated salt had to be chipped out of the boilers and rinsed away. The advantage was that large freshwater tanks did not have to be carried aboard.
In 1952, the tug was slightly modified in order to obtain a Passenger Certificate, so that she could transport officials from newly-launched steamers. Her last commercial owner was the Seaham Harbour Dock Board, which operated her from 1964 to 1967. She was sold for scrap in 1967 to Clayton and Davie, Shipbreakers and, while sitting on a mud bank, fire (part of the scrapping process) destroyed her wooden afterdeck and interior.
In December of 1968, Scott Newhall discovered the EPPLETON HALL in Newcastle after trying to acquire the last operating paddle tug RELIANT, which was slated to be dismantled and pieces put into an exhibit at the Greenwich Maritime Museum. Newhall wanted to purchase the RELIANT but was told it was already spoken for and he was shown the EPPLETON HALL as an alternative; however he still wanted the RELIANT. In early 1969, Newhall assembled a group of maritime enthusiasts in Newcastle for the negotiation of the purchase of the RELIANT and they arrived sometime near the beginning of May. Scott hoped to purchase the RELIANT from the Greenwich Maritime Museum, defray the cost of their investment in the RELIANT and have them use parts from the EPPLETON HALL for their exhibit instead. He wanted to do all this in order to prevent the sea worthy vessel RELIANT from being cut-up into parts and then take the RELIANT back to San Francisco.
In early May 1969, it was determined that they could not purchase the RELIANT and Newhall decided to purchase the EPPLETON HALL. Restoration efforts were turned to her and Bill Bartz remained in Newcastle to oversee the design and renovation of the vessel. She was taken to R.B. Harrison & Sons, Ltd. Shipyard. Bartz worked alongside shipyard employees to restore her and hired appropriate staff to make sure that she was logistically able to leave England for the United States. As she was no longer a vessel used for commercial means, she was registered as a yacht. This allowed her to take on a volunteer crew and have an easier time finding accommodations in ports. She remained registered as a private yacht until 1979.
In mid-September of 1969, the EPPLETON HALL departed England with a crew consisting of Scott Newhall, Karl Kortum and his son Johnny, Bill Bartz and his children Heide and Billy, and engineers and a purser, bound for San Francisco via the Panama Canal. Despite technical difficulties, inclement weather conditions, and illness of the crew, she steamed through the Golden Gate on March 24, 1970.
The vessel was donated to the National Park Service in 1979. She is now berthed at Hyde Street Pier.
Sources: History written by SAFR staff and information also taken from http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/eppleton-hall-history.htm, accessed October 31, 2011
Newhall, Scott. The Eppleton Hall. Berkeley, California: Howell-North Books. 1971.
EUREKA:
The EUREKA was originally named the UKIAH and was built in 1890, at Tiburon, California, for the San Francisco and North Pacific Railway (SF&NPR). She was named UKIAH to commemorate SF&NPR 's recent rail extension into that California city. A freight-car ferry, UKIAH was SF&NPR's "tracks across the Bay," ferrying trains from Sausalito to San Francisco.
The ferry originally carried commuters between San Francisco and Tiburon during the day and hauled railroad freight cars at night. In 1907, UKIAH was re-routed to the Sausalito-San Francisco Ferry Building route by her new owners, Northwestern Pacific Railroad.
During World War I, UKIAH carried munition-filled rail cars for the war effort. After WWI, UKIAH needed extensive repair, and shipwrights at the Southern Pacific yard labored for two years - eventually replacing all of her structure above the waterline. This kind of reconstruction was called "jacking up the whistle and sliding a new boat underneath." In 1923 she was re-christened EUREKA and was launched from the Southern Pacific yard as a passenger and automobile ferry (her present form).
At one time, Southern Pacific Railroad operated forty-two ferryboats on the Bay (they transported 50,000,000 passengers per year). Construction of the Bay and Golden Gate bridges (mid 1930s) signaled the end of the ferryboat era, however. In 1941, EUREKA had the distinction of making the last Marin County run, and by the 1950s regular ferry service was limited to railroad connections. Eureka kept working, but on February 20, 1957, the main crankpin of the walking beam engine broke while en route to San Francisco from the Oakland mole, just after her 11:40pm departure. The walking beam was separated from the cylinder and the EUREKA had to be towed back to Oakland. This was her last trip as a passenger ferry. Just one year later on July 30, 1958, the only remaining ferry boat SAN LEANDRO made the last transbay ferryboat run.
The EUREKA was acquired by the San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park in 1958 and became a National Historic Landmark in 1985. EUREKA is the only surviving wooden-hulled ferryboat.
[History written by SAFR staff. Information also taken from http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/eureka-history.htm and from Levingston, Steven E., "Historic Ships of San Francisco", 1984.]
HERCULES:
The tugboat HERCULES was built by John H. Dialogue and Son, of Camden, New Jersey, in 1907. She had been ordered by the San Francisco-based Shipowners' and Merchants' Tugboat Company, to join their Red Stack fleet (named for their red-painted smoke stacks).
When completed, HERCULES towed her sister ship, the GOLIAH, through the Strait of Magellan to San Francisco. Both vessels were oil-burners; GOLIAH carried fuel, water and supplies for her sister. HERCULES towed barges, sailing ships and log rafts between Pacific ports. Because prevailing north-west winds generally made travel up the coast by sail both difficult and circuitous, tugs often towed large sailing vessels to points north of San Francisco.
In 1916, HERCULES towed the C. A. THAYER to Port Townsend, Washington. The trip took six days. She also towed the FALLS OF CLYDE, now a museum ship in Hawaii. On trips back down the coast, HERCULES often towed huge log rafts, laden with millions of board feet of Northwest timber, to Southern California mills. At other times, HERCULES towed barges of bulk cargoes between other West Coast Ports, and to Hawaii. During the construction of the Panama Canal, she towed a huge floating caisson (a steel structure used for closing the entrance to locks) to the Canal Zone.
In her deep-sea days, HERCULES usually carried a crew of fifteen; enough manpower for her Engine Department to stand three watches while underway. The deep, narrow hull made life uncomfortable at times, because it rode low in the water, and the main deck was often awash. However, the food was good and, for an experienced hand, the work was steady. Tugboat captains were generally well-paid and highly respected, for it took considerable experience to bring a tug and a heavy tow through high seas in bad weather--and good judgment to navigate the shallow bars and narrow entrances of West Coast ports. HERCULES was eventually acquired by the Western Pacific Railroad Company. Her career changed significantly; she no longer served as an ocean-going tug, but shuttled railroad car barges back and forth across San Francisco Bay. She worked until 1962, when changing transportation patterns (the decline of the railroads) and the introduction of diesel-powered tugs sealed her fate.
HERCULES avoided the scrap yard, but languished until the California State Park Foundation acquired her for the San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park, in 1975. The National Park Service took over the task of her restoration in 1977, and in 1986 she was designated a National Historic Landmark. HERCULES has been documented as part of the Historic American Engineering Record's Maritime Record.
[History written by SAFR staff and information also taken from http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/hercules-history.htm]
WAPAMA:
The WAPAMA is a wooden schooner that was built in 1915 by the St. Helens Ship Building Company of St. Helens, Oregon, which was part of a major complex of lumber industries owned by Charles R. McCormick. She was unique in her construction, varying from established shipbuilding practices of the time but she was representative of an older standard. In 1937 the WAPAMA was sold to the Alaska Transportation Company and in 1938 her name was changed to the TONGASS and she carried mail, freight and passengers until she was sold to a scrapyard in 1949.
In 1958 the San Francisco Maritime State Historical Park acquired the TONGASS and she was towed to San Francisco Bay where restoration work was done. After the initial restoration was completed and her original name was restored, the WAPAMA was brought to the Hyde Street Pier on the San Francisco waterfront to join the fleet of other historic vessels. There she became a favorite attraction in the popular park. While moored to the Hyde Street Pier, the WAPAMA underwent additional restoration in a piecemeal fashion by the park's trained shipwrights.
In 1979 the WAPAMA was in need of additional restoration work but was placed on a preservation dry docked barge due to lack of funds. The WAPAMA was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1984 as she is the last surviving example of some 225 steam schooners that served the lumber trade and other coastal services along the Pacific Coast of the United States in the early 20th century.
As of December 2011 she is currently stored in Richmond, California and is slated to be dismantled in the near future.
[History written by SAFR staff and information also taken from Delgado, James P. 1982 December 17. National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Steam Schooner Wapama (Tongass), http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NHLS/Text/73000228.pdf, accessed October 27, 2011]

Collection Scope and Content

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area National Maritime Museum photographs and media, 1977-1988 (SAFR 22245, P91-069) consists of 3.2 linear feet of materials created by Golden Gate National Recreation Area National Maritime Museum staff during the course of their work on facilities and ships from 1977-1988. The collection is described at the file unit level with items listed, and is open for use without restriction.
Contains photographs and media of the vessels ALMA, BALCLUTHA, C.A. THAYER, EPPLETON HALL, EUREKEA, HERCULES, WAPAMA. The photographs show the condition of the vessels, progress shots of repair work, and staff members working and sailing on the vessels. A significant amount of photographs in this collection show the EUREKA. There is also a photograph of a staff holiday party aboard the BALCLUTHA circa 1987. Includes photographs of the facilities Hyde Street Pier, the Donkey Boiler, and the Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building.
The photographer(s) are not clearly identified for each photograph but some photographs were taken by Bay Ship & Yacht Co. (the contractor for the EUREKA repairs in 1985) and other photographs were likely taken by Richard Frear, Steve Hastings, and Don (no last name given).

Collection Arrangement

The collection is organized into the following series and arranged chronologically within each series, subseries and file unit.

Series List

  • Series 1: Ships, 1977-1988
  • Subseries 1.1: Alma (built 1891; scow schooner), 1977-1988
  • Subseries 1.2: Balclutha (built 1886; ship, 3m), circa 1987
  • Subseries 1.3: C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m), 1982-1984
  • Subseries 1.4: Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat), 1983
  • Subseries 1.5: Eureka (built 1890; ferry), 1978-1988
  • Subseries 1.6: Hercules (built 1907; tugboat), 1982-1988
  • Subseries 1.7: Wapama (built 1915; steam schooner), circa 1980-1988
  • Subseries 1.8: Historic Fleet, circa 1980-1988
  • Series 2: Facilities, circa 1977-1988
  • Subseries 2.1: Hyde Street Pier, circa 1977-1988
  • Subseries 2.2: Donkey Boiler, circa 1977-1988
  • Subseries 2.3: Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building, circa 1977-1988

Related Materials

San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park photographs and motion picture, 1956-1977, (P91-078, SAFR 22247); Harry Dring photographs, 1870-1983 (bulk 1954-1982) includes restoration and preservation of the vessels and daily activities at Hyde Street Pier, (P91-015, SAFR 9318); Golden Gate National Recreation Area Maritime Unit photographs, 1980-1987, (P92-106, SAFR 22307); Golden Gate National Recreation Area National Maritime Museum photographs and media, 1977-1988, (P91-069, SAFR 22245); and San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Facilities and Ships Division photographs and media, circa 1977-1991 (P91-071, SAFR 22585)
  • This material is located at San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park

Subjects and Indexing Terms

Ships--Maintenance and repair
Historic preservation
Alma (built 1891; scow schooner)
Balclutha (built 1886; ship, 3m)
C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m)
Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat)
Eureka (built 1890; ferry)
Hercules (built 1907; tugboat)
Wapama (built 1915; steam schooner)
Hyde Street Pier
Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building (San Francisco, Calif.)
Victorian Park (San Francisco, California)
Color prints (photographs)
Color negatives
Black-and-white negatives
Black-and-white prints
Color slides

Collection Contents

Boxes 1-2; Film canister 1

Series 1.  Ships, 1977-1988

Extent: 1389 items

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs and media of the vessels ALMA, BALCLUTHA, C.A. THAYER, EPPLETON HALL, EUREKEA, HERCULES, WAPAMA. The photographs show the vessels on their own, close up shots of different parts of the vessels, staff members working and sailing on the vessels.
Box 1, Folders 1, 6-7

Subseries 1.1.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner), 1977-1988

Extent: 316 items (3 folders)

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs of the condition of the vessel, repair work, and a photographic postcard of people on the ALMA near Hyde Street Pier.

Arrangement

Arranged into three file units: Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) condition survey, Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) repair work, People aboard the Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) for sailing and other events.
Arranged chronologically within each file unit.
Box 1, Folder 6

File Unit 01.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) condition survey, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 1 folder (132 items).

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting the state of the vessel's condition.
Box 1, Folder 6

Item No. 01.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) before 1980s restoration, circa 1977-1985

Extent: 37 items.
Physical Description: 37 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Includes a few photographs of the C.A. THAYER.
Box 1, Folder 6

Item No. 01.010.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) before 1980s restoration, circa 1977-early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Close-up photograph of rotten wood; an ink pen is placed on the wood for scale.
Box 1, Folder 6

Item No. 01.013.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) before 1980s restoration, circa 1977-early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Photograph showing condition of wooden structures on deck.
Box 1, Folder 6

Item No. 01.015.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) before 1980s restoration, circa 1977-early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Condition photograph of gear awaiting repair.
Box 1, Folder 6

Item No. 01.022.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) before 1980s restoration, circa 1977-early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

An unidentified man works on the base of a new mast, under construction.
Box 1, Folder 6

Item No. 01.033.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) before 1980s restoration, circa 1977-early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

New mast under construction at the shipyard.
Box 1, Folder 6

Item No. 02.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) condition survey, 1983 September

Extent: 16 items.
Physical Description: 16 color prints, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Each photograph has a typed card attached on the back that describes the damage being shown. One description says that the bowsprit pulled fastenings through and broke anchor windlass during winter storms on December 22, 1982 and that damage resulted from a collision with EPPLETON HALL after ALMA dragged her anchor. The original envelope said "Alma drydocking 1984."
Box 1, Folder 6

Item No. 03.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) damage after hitting Black Point Bridge with mast, and subsequent condition survey in Petaluma, California, 1984 August

Extent: 41 items.
Physical Description: 41 color slides
Box 1, Folder 6

Item No. 04.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) repair work on deck, deckhouse, hull, circa 1980-1988

Extent: 38 items.
Physical Description: 36 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 2 black-and-white contact sheets
Box 1, Folders 1 and 7

File Unit 02.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) repair work, 1984-1987

Extent: 2 folders (183 items).

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting repair work and/or maintenance being done on the vessel.
Box 1, Folder 7

Item No. 01.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) masts being replaced, 1984

Extent: 143 photographs.
Physical Description: 28 color prints, 3.5 x 4.5 in.; 112 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 3 black-and-white contact sheets (111 images)

Scope and Content Note

One of the original envelopes for the color prints said: "Franklin Delano Roosevelt Fishing Pier. Alma restoration. Attn: Jessie Brady. Marc & Crew. Harry & Crew. Ron & Crew. Balclutha."
Box 1, Folder 7

Item No. 01.054.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) masts being replaced, 1984

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

An unidentified man works on setting the mast in place.
Box 1, Folder 7

Item No. 01.090.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) masts being replaced, 1984

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Park staff setting the mast in place; the deck around the main mast is taken up for setting the mast.
Box 1, Folder 7

Item No. 01.132.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) masts being replaced, 1984

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

A crane lifts Alma's (built 1891; scow schooner) mast for replacement.
Box 1, Folder 7

Item No. 02.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) starboard hold decking repair, 1985 April 1

Extent: 4 items.
Physical Description: 4 color polaroid photographs

Scope and Content Note

Includes one photograph of passenger dock beams on the EUREKA dock (Mr. Elliott contract) with the ALMA in the background.
Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 03.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) in drydock, 1987 Spring

Extent: 36 items.
Physical Description: 36 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm
FM315--3 FLOOR PHOCOLL P91-069, Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 03.001.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) drydock, 1987 spring

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Stern view of the vessel on blocks, undergoing repair. Three men are seen working on the hull, below the waterline. Planking is removed and timbers are visible.
FM315--3 FLOOR PHOCOLL P91-069, Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 03.002.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) drydock, 1987 spring

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Close-up stern view, below the waterline, with planking removed and timbers exposed. An unidentified man is working under the vessel.
FM315--3 FLOOR PHOCOLL P91-069, Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 03.003.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) drydock, 1987 spring

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Close-up view of the bottom of the hull, planking removed and timbers exposed, on blocks during repair. The interior of the hold can be seen from the outside.
FM315--3 FLOOR PHOCOLL P91-069, Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 03.031.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) drydock, 1987 spring

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Block and tackle holding what appears to be the towrail or bulwark in the air during repair.
Box 1, Folder 1

File Unit 03.  People aboard the Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) for sailing and other events, 1978

Extent: 1 folder.
Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 01.  People aboard Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) while docked at Hyde Street Pier, 1978

Extent: 1 item.
Physical Description: 1 color photographic postcard, 4.25 x 6 in.

Scope and Content Note

Coit Tower and the EUREKA in the background. Photograph taken in 1978. Postcard sent in 1987.
Box 1, Folder 1

Subseries 1.2.  Balclutha (built 1886; ship, 3m), circa 1987

Extent: 1 item (1 folder)

Scope and Content Note

Contains a photograph of people aboard the vessel for an event.

Arrangement

Arranged into one file unit: People aboard the Balclutha for events.
Box 1, Folder 1

File Unit 01.  People aboard Balclutha (built 1886; ship, 3m) for events, circa 1987

Extent: 1 folder.
Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 01.  Golden Gate (GOGA) staff aboard Balclutha (built 1886; ship, 3m) for a holiday party, circa 1987 December

Extent: 1 item.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white photographic print, 8 x 10 in.

Scope and Content Note

Group portrait of about 50 people.
Box 1, Folders 8-10; Film canister 1

Subseries 1.3.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m), 1977-1988

Extent: 319 items (3 folders; 1 film reel)

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs documenting the condition of the vessel and repair work. Contains one interpretive film reel about the vessel.

Arrangement

Arranged into three file units: C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) condition survey; C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) repair work; C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) interpretation.
Arranged chronologically within each file unit.
Box 1, Folder 8

File Unit 01.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) condition survey, 1982-1983

Extent: 1 folder (11 items).

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting the state of the vessel's condition.
Box 1, Folder 8

Item No. 01.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) exterior condition photographs, 1982-1983, undated

Extent: 11 photographs.
Physical Description: 7 color photographic prints, 3.5 x 5 in.; 4 color Polaroid photographs

Scope and Content Note

Includes photographs of storm damage in December 1983. Shows broken bowsprit and foremast. Original envelope said: "Steve - some pics of Thayer. -Don"
Box 1, Folder 8

Item No. 01.001.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) hole in starboard, 1983 December

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color photographic print, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Hole due to rotten wood in the starboard hull.
Box 1, Folder 8

Item No. 01.002.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) -- starboard hull patch, 1983 December

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color photographic print, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Plate covering rotting wood on the starboard hull. Exposed rotten wood is seen to the right of the plate.
Box 1, Folder 8

Item No. 01.003.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) -- inner guy band -- bowsprit, 1983 December

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color photographic print, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Inner guy band of the bowsprit.
Box 1, Folder 8

Item No. 01.004.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) -- starboard storm damage, 1983 December

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color photographic print, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Close-up of storm damage to the starboard hull.
Box 1, Folder 8

Item No. 01.005.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) -- trail board covering in way of gammon strap, 1983 December

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color photographic print, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Trail board covering in the way of a gammon strap.
Box 1, Folders 9-10

File Unit 02.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) repair work, 1983-1984

Extent: 2 folders (307 items).

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting repair work and/or maintenance being done on the vessel.
Box 1, Folder 9

Item No. 01.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) mast replacement, 1983-1984

Extent: 264 photographs.
Physical Description: 198 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 6 black-and-white contact sheets of 35 mm film (227 images) and 60 black-and-white photographic prints, 8 x 10 in.

Scope and Content Note

Includes photographs of the creation of the three masts, their transport from the shipyard to the vessel, and close up shots of the masts being replaced. Most photographs are taken from the ground but there are a few aerial shots as well.
Photographer(s) unknown though one is likely Richard Frear. "[Richard] Frear should have negatives for Thayer mast" written on outside of original box. Many of the prints that do not have corresponding negatives were very likely made from Richard Frear photographs. Richard Frear was a National Park Service photographer and there are more of his photographs in the San Francisco Maritime NHP collections.
Box 1, Folder 9

Item No. 01.017.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) mast replacement, 1983-1984

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Crane lifting mast during replacement; negative #17 from film #62230
Box 1, Folder 9

Item No. 01.026.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) mast replacement, 1983-1984

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Removed mast with apparent rot; from film #62230
Box 1, Folder 9

Item No. 01.028.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) mast replacement, 1983-1984

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

A crane lifting a mast and a forklift pulling another during mast replacement; from film #62230
Box 1, Folder 10

Item No. 02.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) mizzen mast replacement, circa 1983-1984

Extent: 43 items.
Physical Description: 41 color photographic prints, 3.5 x 5 in; 2 color photographic prints, 8 x 12 in.

Scope and Content Note

Prints processed 1985 December. Includes two enlarged prints; one of a staff member working on the mizzen mast, and one of Dick Linville spinning oleum. Dick Linville was a second generation shipwright with the original ship restoration crew.
Film canister 1

File Unit 03.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) interpretation, 1977-1988

Extent: 1 reel.
Physical Description: 1 film reel

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains interpretive material about the vessel.
Film canister 1

Item No. 01.  C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) interpretive film, 1977-1988

Extent: 1 reel.
Physical Description: Color 16mm motion picture film with optical sound.

Scope and Content Note

Approximately 150 feet of 16mm color film with optical sound. Includes footage of National Maritime Museum employee Steve Hastings, views aboard C.A. THAYER, and historic photographs of the vessel. Used by park rangers for interpretation purposes. Film needs to be digitized before audio content can be described. Located in motion picture film storage area.
Box 1, Folder 11

Subseries 1.4.  Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat), 1983

Extent: 45 items (1 folder)

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs of repair work on the vessel.

Arrangement

Arranged into one file unit: Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat) repair work.
Arranged chronologically within the file unit.
Box 1, Folder 11

File Unit 01.  Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat) repair work, 1983

Extent: 1 folder (45 items).

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting repair work and/or maintenance being done on the vessel.
Box 1, Folder 11

Item No. 01.  Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat) drydocking, 1983 March

Extent: 45 items.
Physical Description: 45 color slides

Scope and Content Note

Includes photographs of people working on the vessel (welding and power washing) and close up views of different parts of the vessel. Original slide boxes had "Hastings (GGNRA) ET 435-20" and "Hastings (GGNRA) EL 135-36" listed in the customer area.
Box 1, Folder 11

Item No. 01.007.  Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat) drydocking, 1983 March

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color slide

Scope and Content Note

An unidentified man welds at the paddles on the wheel beneath the waterline of Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat)
Box 1, Folder 11

Item No. 01.018.  Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat) drydocking, 1983 March

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color slide

Scope and Content Note

An unidentified man power-sprays barnacles from the hull of the Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat)
Box 1, Folder 11

Item No. 01.044.  Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat) drydocking, 1983 March

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color slide

Scope and Content Note

Survey photograph of the rusted funnels of the Eppleton Hall (built 1914; tugboat)
Box 1, Folders 1-2; Box 2, Folders 1-2

Subseries 1.5.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry), 1978-1988

Extent: 559 items (4 folders)

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs of the condition of the vessel, repair work, and EUREKA going to drydock in 1978.

Arrangement

Arranged into three file units: Eureka (built 1890; ferry) condition survey, Eureka (built 1890; ferry) repair work, People aboard Eureka (built 1890; ferry) for sailing and other events.
Arranged chronologically within each file unit.
Box 1, Folder 2; Box 2, Folder 1

File Unit 01.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) condition survey, circa 1980-1988

Extent: 2 folders (153 items).

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting the state of the vessel's condition.
Box 2, Folder 1

Item No. 01.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) passenger deck details, circa 1980-1985

Extent: 149 photographs.
Physical Description: 145 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 4 black-and-white contact sheets (with 144 images). (There are 4 rolls of film; each roll of film has a contact sheet, but 1 contact sheet is missing one corresponding negative).

Scope and Content Note

Photographs taken prior to the 1985 deck rebuild.
Box 2, Folder 1

Item No. 01.019.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) detail of top molding and support posts, early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

A yardstick is shown next to the support pole to record scale. The photograph is from a group of photographs labeled, "Deck Details #1."
Box 2, Folder 1

Item No. 01.027.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) detail of legs of bench seating, early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

A yardstick is laid down on the ground from the interior wall to the edge of the bench to show scale. The photograph is from a group of photographs labeled, "Deck Details #1."
Box 2, Folder 1

Item No. 01.028.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) detail of the interior supports for double bench seating, early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Close-up photograph of the supports found in the middle underneath the double bench seating. A yardstick is laid down on the ground behind the supports to show detail. The photograph is from a group of photographs labeled, "Deck Details #1."
Box 2, Folder 1

Item No. 01.030.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) detail of the supports and legs of double bench seating, early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

The view of this photograph is from further back than items 01-30; it shows the supports as well as the more decorative leg posts for the double bench seating. The photograph is from a group of photographs labeled, "Deck Details #1."
Box 2, Folder 1

Item No. 01.037.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) bench, rail, post and post cap, early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

The photograph shows the proximity of an entirely outdoor bench to the rail and stairs leading off the deck. Post and post caps are at the top of the stairs. A yardstick is seen on the ground, under the bench, to show scale. The photograph is from a group of photographs labeled, "Deck Details #1."
Box 2, Folder 1

Item No. 01.039.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) side view of an outdoor wrap-around bench on the deck, early 1980s

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

The photograph shows a side view of a bench that wraps around an open part of the deck. The rail around the open part serves as the back rest for the bench. There is a yardstick under the bench seat to show scale. The photograph is from a group of photographs labeled, "Deck Details #1."
Box 1, Folder 2

Item No. 02.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) fire and baggage cart, circa 1980-1988

Extent: 4 items.
Physical Description: 4 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm
Box 1, Folders 1-2; Box 2, Folder 2

File Unit 02.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) repair work, circa 1978-1986

Extent: 3 folders (405 items).

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting repair work and/or maintenance being done on the vessel.
Box 1, Folder 2

Item No. 01.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) at Hyde Street Pier and going to dry dock, circa 1978-1986

Extent: 202 items.
Physical Description: 195 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm and 7 black-and-white contact sheets (with 195 images)
Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 02.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) siding and post repairs, circa 1982-1983

Extent: 26 items.
Physical Description: 13 color negatives, 35 mm; 13 color prints, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Photographs processed 1986 February. Original envelope indicated that the photographs were taken in 1982-1983.
Box 2, Folder 2

Item No. 03.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) deck repairs, 1985 March-April

Extent: 39 items.
Physical Description: 38 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 1 contact sheet (with 38 images)
Box 2, Folder 2

Item No. 03.010.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) deck repairs, 1985 March-April

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Renovation of the upper deck of the Eureka (built 1890; ferry). Rails, flooring and seating removed. Alcatraz Island is in the background.
Box 2, Folder 2

Item No. 03.022.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) deck repairs, 1985 March-April

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Renovation of the upper deck of the Eureka (built 1890; ferry). Flooring removed.
Box 2, Folder 2

Item No. 03.034.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) deck repairs, 1985 March-April

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Renovation of the upper deck of the Eureka (built 1890; ferry). Rotting wood is apparent and flooring is removed, revealing rot.
Box 2, Folder 2

Item No. 04.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) stern passenger deck repairs, 1985 April

Extent: 15 items.
Physical Description: 15 color prints, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Photographs taken by contractor (Bay Ship & Yacht Co. in Novato, CA). Prints processed April 1985.
Box 2, Folder 2

Item No. 05.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) stern passenger deck repairs, 1985 May

Extent: 33 items.
Physical Description: 33 black-and-white photographic prints, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Photographs taken by contractor (Bay Ship & Yacht Co. in Novato, CA). Prints processed May 1985.
Box 2, Folder 2

Item No. 06.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) deck repairs, 1985 April-May

Extent: 38 items.
Physical Description: 36 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 2 contact sheets (with 36 images)

Scope and Content Note

Elliot contract.
Box 2, Folder 2

Item No. 07.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) bulwark removal on the car deck, 1985 December-1986 January

Extent: 13 items.
Physical Description: 13 color Polaroid photographs

Scope and Content Note

Each photograph is annotated describing the part of the vessel and/or work being done on that part of the vessel. One photograph shows previous repair work that had been done to the vessel in 1972 that was revealed during the bulwark removal.
Box 2, Folder 2

Item No. 08.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) deckhouse renewal, circa 1985-1986

Extent: 39 items.
Physical Description: 38 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 1 black-and-white contact sheet (36 images)

Scope and Content Note

Shows the lead pipe (downspout) going back in.
Box 1, Folder 2

File Unit 03.  People aboard Eureka (built 1890; ferry) for sailing and other events, 1978

Extent: 1 folder (1 volume).
Box 1, Folder 2

Item No. 01.  Eureka (built 1890; ferry) going to drydock photograph album, 1978 December 6

Extent: 1 volume.
Physical Description: Photograph album with color Polaroid photographs

Scope and Content Note

Includes photographs of staff on board the vessel.
Box 1, Folders 1 and 3

Subseries 1.6.  Hercules (built 1907; tugboat), 1982-1988

Extent: 78 items (2 folders)

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs of the condition of the vessel and repair work.

Arrangement

Arranged into two file units: Hercules (built 1907; tugboat) condition survey and Hercules (built 1907; tugboat) repair work.
Arranged chronologically within each file unit.
Box 1, Folder 1

File Unit 01.  Hercules (built 1907; tugboat) condition survey, 1982-1988

Extent: 1 folder (57 items).

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting the state of the vessel's condition.
Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 01.  Hercules (built 1907; tugboat) docked, 1982

Extent: 31 items.
Physical Description: 21 color negatives, 35 mm; 10 color prints, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Includes close up shots of machinery, hull, and siding. Also includes negatives of BALCLUTHA, EPPLETON HALL, EUREKA, and possibly ALMA (with no masts?). Photographic prints processed 1982 September.
Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 01.014.  Hercules (built 1907; tugboat) docked, 1982

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Deck view of equipment in need of repair. Possibly a hoist.
Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 01.015.  Hercules (built 1907; tugboat) docked, 1982

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Cracked deck equipment in need of repair.
Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 01.020.  Hercules (built 1907; tugboat) docked, 1982

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 color negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Looking fore along the rubrail.
Box 1, Folder 1

Item No. 02.  Hercules (built 1907; tugboat) move to Hyde Street Pier, 1988 July?

Extent: 26 items.
Physical Description: 13 color negatives, 35 mm; 13 color prints, 3.5 x 5 in.

Scope and Content Note

Includes photographs of the tug SEA FOX. Photographic prints processed July 1988.
Box 1, Folder 3

File Unit 02.  Hercules (built 1907; tugboat) repair work, 1982

Extent: 1 folder (21 items).

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting repair work and/or maintenance being done on the vessel.
Box 1, Folder 3

Item No. 01.  Staff working on Hercules (built 1907; tugboat) while she was drydocked, 1982

Extent: 21 items.
Physical Description: 20 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 1 black-and-white proof sheet
Box 2, Folder 3

Subseries 1.7.  Wapama (built 1915; steam schooner), circa 1980-1988

Extent: 0 items

Scope and Content Note

This series is a placeholder for WAPAMA photographs, as accruals are expected for this collection.

Related Material

See Series 1.8, File Unit 01 for photographs of the WAPAMA in drydock, circa 1980-1988.
Box 2, Folders 3-4; Oversize folder 1

Subseries 1.8.  Historic Fleet, circa 1980-1988

Extent: 71 items

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs of projects involving multiple vessels or photographs with more than one vessel in the shot.

Arrangement

Arranged into two file units: Historic vessels condition survey; Historic vessels repair work.
Arranged chronologically within each file unit.
Box 2, Folder 3

File Unit 01.  Historic vessels condition survey, circa 1980-1988

Extent: 1 item.

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting the state of the vessel's condition.
Box 2, Folder 3

Item No. 01.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner), Wapama (built 1915; steam schooner), and unidentified vessel (likely C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m)), circa 1980-1988

Extent: 1 item.
Physical Description: 1 contact sheet (37 images)

Scope and Content Note

ALMA in drydock (photographs of hull); WAPAMA in drydock (exterior shots, interior shots, deck); mast and rigging of unidentified vessel (likely the C.A. THAYER)
Box 2, Folder 4; Oversize folder 1

File Unit 02.  Historic vessels repair work, circa 1983-1984

Extent: 70 items.
Physical Description: 69 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 1 black-and-white contact sheet, 16 x 20 in.

Scope and Content Note

This file unit contains photographs documenting work on the vessels ALMA and C.A. THAYER.
Box 2, Folder 4; Oversize folder 1

Item No. 01.  Alma (built 1891; scow schooner) and C.A. Thayer (built 1895; schooner, 3m) repair work, circa 1983-1984

Extent: 70 items.
Physical Description: 69 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 1 black-and-white contact sheet, 16 x 20 in.

Scope and Content Note

Includes photographs of the C.A. THAYER bowsprit being replaced.
Box 1, Folders 4-5; Box 2, Folder 5

Series 2.  Facilities, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 127 items (3 folders)

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs of objects on Hyde Street Pier, the Donkey Boiler and the Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building.

Arrangement

Arranged into three subseries:

  • 2.1: Hyde Street Pier
  • 2.2: Donkey Boiler
  • 2.3: Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building
Box 1, Folder 4

Subseries 2.1.  Hyde Street Pier, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 23 items (1 folder)

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs of iron and wood objects on Hyde Street Pier.

Arrangement

Arranged into one file unit: Objects on Hyde Street Pier.
Box 1, Folder 4

File Unit 01.  Objects on Hyde Street Pier, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 1 folder (23 items).
Box 1, Folder 4

Item No. 01.  Iron/wood objects, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 23 items.
Physical Description: 22 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 1 black-and-white contact sheet

Scope and Content Note

Includes images of EUREKA and YOSEMITE in the background. Film #997428 on sticker on original negative envelope.
Box 1, Folder 5

Subseries 2.2.  Donkey Boiler, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 95 items (1 folder)

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs of the donkey boiler including a demonstration of the boiler in action.

Arrangement

Arranged into one file unit: Donkey Boiler.
Box 1, Folder 5

File Unit 01.  Donkey Boiler, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 1 folder (95 items).
Box 1, Folder 5

Item No. 01.  Small male child wearing headphones standing in front of donkey boiler, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 1 item.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white print, 8 x 10 in.
Box 1, Folder 5

Item No. 02.  Donkey boiler demonstration, circa 1977-1979

Extent: 72 items.
Physical Description: 72 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Includes photographs of people watching the donkey boiler in action and a reporter with a microphone interviewing someone. Note found with negatives indicates they were given to Haller on July 31, 1979.
Box 1, Folder 5

Item No. 03.  Donkey boiler in operation, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 22 items.
Physical Description: 21 black-and-white negatives, 35 mm; 1 black-and-white contact sheet

Scope and Content Note

Includes photographs of people watching the donkey boiler in action and a reporter with a microphone interviewing someone. Note found with negatives indicates they were given to Haller on July 31, 1979.
Box 1, Folder 5

Item No. 03.01.  Donkey boiler in operation, circa 1979

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

Close-up of an unidentified ranger oiling the donkey boiler on Hyde Street Pier, in preparation for demonstration. Another ranger can be seen standing in the background.
Box 1, Folder 5

Item No. 03.02.  Donkey boiler in operation, circa 1979

Extent: 1 photograph.
Physical Description: 1 black-and-white negative, 35 mm

Scope and Content Note

An unidentified ranger prepares the donkey boiler on Hyde Street Pier in preparation for demonstration.
Box 2, Folder 5

Subseries 2.3.  Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 9 items (1 folder)

Scope and Content Note

Contains photographs of the Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building.

Arrangement

Arranged into one file unit: Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building photographs.
Box 2, Folder 5

File Unit 01.  Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building maintenance, circa 1977-1988

Extent: 1 folder (9 items).
Box 2, Folder 5

Item No. 01.  Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building exterior repainting, 1988

Extent: 9 items.
Physical Description: 9 color photographic prints, 3.5 x 5.25 in.

Scope and Content Note

Documentation of the exterior repainting of the Tubbs Cordage Company Office Building. Stamped April 1988 on verso of prints.