The Microcirculatory Society Records, 1948-2001 (bulk 1954-1999), document primarily the society from its beginning through
the 1990s. Items within the collection include documents pertaining to Society organization and operation, photographs of
members and events, and reel-to-reel and digital audio of the first conference.
The Microcirculatory Society was organized in 1954; Edward Bloch served as its first president. It was organized from isolated
and independent groups or individuals concerned with research on microcirculation. The Society first met in conjunction with
the 67th annual meeting of the American Association of Anatomists. The conference was conceived and implemented by Edward
Bloch, Department of Anatomy, Western Reserve University (now Case-Western Reserve) and John W. Irwin, Department of Medicine,
Massachusetts General Hospital and subsequently Director of the Microcirculatory Laboratory, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary,
Boston. The Society has met every year since then, with researchers being invited to present their findings and to discuss
the latest news on microcirculation. At the second conference in 1955 the members voted to incorporate and hold separate annual
3.2 Linear feet
8 archives boxes
Publication rights are held by the creator of the collection.
Items in the AUDIO/VISUAL MATERIALS series are restricted. Researchers must request user copies be produced.