Scope and Content
Title: William Andrews Clark Memorial Library Institutional Archive,
Identifier/Call Number: Clarkive Post-1934
William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
Language of Material:
159.0 Linear feet
Date (inclusive): 1934-2010
Records of the William Andrews Clark Memorial Library and the Center for 17th- and 18th-Century Studies from 1934 to the present.
Subjects treated by these materials include library acquisitions, academic events, fellowships, Clark buildings and grounds,
publicity and press clippings, and library reference and circulation records.
William Andrews Clark Memorial Library.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the William Andrews Clark Memorial Library, UCLA. All requests for permission to publish
or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Clark Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf
of the William Andrews Clark Memorial Library, UCLA as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply
permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
[Identification of item], William Andrews Clark Memorial Library Institutional Archive, Clarkive Post-1934, William Andrews
Clark Memorial Library, University of California, Los Angeles.
Processed by Rebecca Fenning, November 2010-February 2011
The William Andrews Clark Memorial Library is one of UCLA's major libraries for rare books and manuscripts, with particular
strengths in English literature and history (1641-1800), Oscar Wilde, and fine printing. It is located thirteen miles east
of campus (about a half-hour drive), in the West Adams District of Los Angeles north of USC. It is administered by UCLA's
Center for Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century Studies.
The library and its collections were founded by William Andrews Clark, Jr., and named after his father, who had built a mining
fortune in Montana. The son, a prominent Los Angeles book collector and philanthropist, had a house at the corner of Adams
Blvd. and Cimarron Street, and from 1924 to 1926 he constructed the present library on the same lot. Shortly afterwards he
announced his intention to donate the collection, the buildings, and the property to UCLA. When he died in 1934 the deed passed
to the University.
The Center, a member of the UCLA Humanities Consortium, provides a forum for the discussion of central issues in the field
of seventeenth- and eighteenth-century studies. It organizes academic programs, bringing together scholars from the area,
the nation, and the world, with the goal of encouraging research in the period from 1600 to 1800. It seeks to enlarge the
Clark Library's holdings in this period in order to enhance research opportunities. The Center's publications program is dedicated
to making the results of its conferences known to the larger scholarly public. It provides resident fellowships and scholarships
to support research in early modern studies and other areas central to the Clark's collections. In addition it offers a variety
of public programs, including chamber music concerts.
||Death of William Andrews Clark, Jr. The library becomes part of UCLA.
||Cora Sanders, Librarian/Curator of Collections
||Lawrence Clark Powell, Director of Library
||William E. Conway, Head Librarian
||Robert G. Vosper, Director of Library
||Thomas Wright, Head Librarian
||Norman Thrower, Director of Library
||Formation of the Center for 17th- and 18th-century Studies
||Norman Thrower, Director of the Center and Clark
||John Brewer, Director of the Center and Clark
||Peter Reill, Director of the Center and Clark
||John Bidwell, Head Librarian
||Bruce Whiteman, Head Librarian
Scope and Content
This collection consists of the institutional records of the William Andrews Clark Memorial Library and Center for 17th- and
18th-Century Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles, 1934-present. Items include materials related to library
acquisitions and purchases, reference queries, fellowships, academic events and faculty, financial and administrative records,
annual reports, clippings and publicity materials, building and grounds documentation, visitor records and publications. These
records document the history of the Clark Library and Center as operating units at UCLA, and their roles in supporting scholarship
and research both at the University and beyond.
The collection is organized into the following series:
- Series 1. Correspondence and Collection Management, 1934-present
- Series 2. Fellowships, Programs and Publications, 1945-present
- Series 3. Administrative Records, 1934-2009
- Series 4. Clark/Center Personnel, 1880-2010
- Series 5. Publicity and Clippings, 1947-present
- Series 6. Building and Grounds, 1945-1997
- Series 7. Miscellany, 1960-2010
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Accession records--United States--20th century
Acquisitions (Libraries)--United States--20th century
Administrative records--United States--20th century
Collection development (Libraries)--United States--20th century
Congresses and conventions--United States--20th century
Correspondence--United States--20th century
Invoices--United States--20th century
Library administration--United States--20th century
Library employees--United States--20th century
Library publications--United States--20th century
Library records--United States--20th century