The Arnold Del Carlo Photograph Collection consists of
photographs and negatives, which document the transformation of Santa Clara Valley
from orchards to an urban landscape. The years covered by the collection range from
the late 1940s to the early 1970s, and include photographs taken from the street
level as well as from the air. Prominent groups of photographs include those taken
of institutions such as San Jose State College, the City of San Jose, the
International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), and General Motors Company (GMC);
of land developers and builders, and business establishments in the cities of San
Jose and Santa Clara; and portraits of individuals and families, as well as weddings
Arnold Del Carlo was born in St. Paul, Minnesota on June 3, 1921, the first son of
Natale and Estelle (McGowan) Del Carlo. During his childhood and teenage years, Del
Carlo became fascinated with both airplanes and photography, but it was not until
the beginning of the Second World War that the two interests merged. After
completing Basic Training with the US Army in rural Texas, Del Carlo was sent to
Bombardier School, where he was assigned to a partner cadet. The two cadets worked
together, with one dropping bombs on a target and the other filming the puffs of
smoke created by the bomb. The 35mm movie film was later processed in the laboratory
where Del Carlo worked, showing the smoke relation to the target.
Containers: 2 filing cabinets, 12 binders, 102 boxes
Volume: 83 cubic feet
Selected online items available
Copyright is assigned to Sourisseau Academy for State and Local History. All
requests for permission to publish should be submitted to Sourisseau Academy.
Permission for publication is given on behalf of Sourisseau Academy. Copyright
restrictions may apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
Collection is open for research.