The collection contains two photograph albums of scenes in China, including Shanghai, Peking, and Tientsin [Tianjin], apparently
from the period preceding and during the Boxer Rebellion, ca. 1890s-1900. Some photos are snapshots while others appear to
be more of the picture postcard variety.
As part of the Treaty of Nanking (1842) which ended the first Opium War, western merchants were granted permission to trade
and lease land on the west bank of the Huangpu River in Shanghai. The combination of a good port, western technology and commerce,
and a large local work force soon made Shanghai one of the leading trading centers in the East. All major streets led to the
waterfront and the great mercantile houses, many of which were grandiose stone buildings, were constructed in due course along
the embankment facing the river. This area came to be known as the Bund (from a Hindi word for dyke or embankment). In addition
to trading houses and banks, many foreign consulates were located there as well. Shanghai itself came to be divided into the
British-dominated International Settlement, the French Concession, the Chinese City to the south and the large Chinese suburb
of Zhabei to the north. This era of foreign control and influence largely prevailed until 1949 and the founding of the People's
Republic of China.
.4 linear feet
(1 document box)
Copyright has not been assigned to the Department of Special Collections, UCSB. All requests for permission to publish or
quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given
on behalf of the Department of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply
permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained.