Consists of records chronicling the first incarnation of the SF Microscopical Society, 1870-1905, including organizational
records, meeting minutes, correspondence, indexes of publications, scrapbooks of clippings, fern mounts, and photographs of
microscopic organisms, and papers written and presented by members.
The San Francisco Microscopical Society was formed in 1870, when the California Academy of Sciences declined a proposal by
two members, Hiram G. Bloomer and Henry G. Hanks, to form a section devoted to the use of microscopes in scientific studies.
Within a year the Society was nearly inactive. However, interest revived the Society in 1872, with a new organizational structure
and fees to support equipment and other expenses.
Number of containers: 2 boxes, 14 volumes
Linear feet: 2.2
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft
Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.