The Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce Records (1922-1975) document the operation and activities of the Chamber, with an emphasis on community upkeep and development.
The files consist of meeting minutes, correspondence, financial statements, maps, surveys, committee files, and reports.
The collection is divided into six series: Board of Director Minutes (1937-1972), Committee Files (1947-1958), General Correspondence (1935-1976), Officers' Correspondence (1935-1976), Financial Records (1937-1975), and Office Files (1946-1976).
William H. West, one of the largest lemon grove owners in Lemon Grove, established the Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce in
1926, and served as the organization's first president. The Chamber's mission was to promote local business, which in the
1920s primarily consisted of citrus growers, and to improve the community by overseeing the maintenance of roads, garbage
collection, and fire protection. During the Second World War, the Chamber became inactive; however in 1946 the organization
quickly revived itself under the direction of George B. White.
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with
the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections
is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be
submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available
for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including
but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.