Scope and Content
Title: School of the Arts and Architecture. Administrative files.
Collection number: Record Series 777
Creator: School of the Arts and Architecture. 1953-1998
(3 linear ft.)
University of California, Los Angeles. Library. UCLA University Archives
Los Angeles, California 90095-1490
Abstract: Admininstrative files of the UCLA School of the Arts and Architecture. Processing of Record Series 777 was partially funded
by a grant from the Getty Research Institute.
Language of Material: Collection materials in English
Collection is open for research.
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University
Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish
or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
[Identification of item], School of the Arts and Architecture. Administrative files., Record Series 777, UCLA University Archives,
University of California, Los Angeles.
Processed by Elizabeth Spatz, 2007 May
Record series transferred to the Univ. Archives in June 2002. Weeded: financial information (monthly ledgers, equipment/supply
orders, payroll), duplicates, staff/faculty personnel files.
Processing of Record Series 777 was partially funded by a grant from the Getty Research Institute.
Two items were removed from the Department of Music's "Falstaff" production materials, being a copy of Giuseppe Verdi's "Falstaff:
Lyric Comedy in Three Acts" (ed. 2538) published by G. Schirmer, New York (1963); and "The Industry Flip Book - 1998."
UCLA was founded in 1919 as the Southern Branch of the University of California, with a campus on Vermont Avenue. As part
of its two-year undergraduate program in Letters and Science, the Department of Art, Department of Music, and Art Gallery
were created at this time. In 1926 the campus moved to its current site in Westwood and in the following year, the Regents
adopted the name, University of California at Los Angeles.
In 1936 the UCLA Center for the Performing Arts was established, beginning its first year of public programming in 1937 with
performances by Marian Anderson, John Charles Thomas, the Budapest String Quartet, and the Los Angeles Philharmonic.
In 1939 the College of Applied Arts was established, under which the departments of Art, Dance, Ethnic Arts, Music and Theater
functioned until 1960, when the College of Fine Arts was created in an effort to increase the balance between theory and practice,
better preparing students to become professionals in their given areas.
In 1953 the Art Gallery became known as the University Art Galleries, later renamed the Wight Art Gallery in 1973 in honor
of Frederick S. Wight (1902-1986), chairman of the art department and director of the University Art Galleries. In 1965 the
gallery moved from the Arts Building into the Dickson Art Center where it was used for student shows and traveling exhibitions.
In 1995 the gallery staff moved to the Armand Hammer Museum, and the Wight Art Gallery became known as the New Wight Gallery,
located on the UCLA campus in the Eli and Edyth Broad Art Center (formerly the Dickson Art Center.)
Established in 1956 as the Grunwald Graphic Arts Foundation with a substantial gift of 5,000 prints and drawings from Fred
Grunwald, the Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts became a repository and primary research facility for the university's
extensive collection of prints, drawings, photographs, and artists' books. In 1965 the foundation was located in the upper
level of the Wight Art Gallery in the newly opened Dickson Art Center. In 1974 the Grunwald Graphic Arts Foundation was renamed
the Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts, and in 1992 became a public arts program of UCLA's School of the Arts. In 1994,
the staff and collection of the Grunwald Center were moved to the Armand Hammer Museum.
In 1985, the Theater Arts department was renamed the Department of Theater, Film, and Television, and oversaw both the Motion
Picture/Television program and Theater program. In 1987-1989, the restructuring of the College of Fine Arts resulted in the
establishment of two schools under the supervision of the College of Fine Arts: The School of the Arts, and the School of
Theater, Film, and Television. The UCLA Film and Television Archives, previously known as the UCLA Film, Television and Radio
Archives, operating under the Theater Arts Department, became an independent entity, reporting to the Chancellor's Office
of the College of Fine Arts.
In 1994 the Architecture and Urban Design joined the School of the Arts, resulting in the School of the Arts and Architecture
(also known as UCLArts), comprised of six departments: Architecture and Urban Design; Art; Design/Media Arts; Ethnomusicology;
Music; and World Arts & Cultures. Additionally four public art units were in operation, being the Armand Hammer Museum (under
UCLA's management since 1994), the Fowler Museum of Cultural History, the Franklin D. Murphy Sculpture Gardens, and UCLA Live
(UCLA's performing arts program.) UCLArts also oversees the operations of the Art/Sci Center, the Center for Intercultural
Performance, the Experiential Technologies Center, and the Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts.
Scope and Content
The collection includes operating documents, correspondence, grant proposals and applications, production materials, departmental
reviews and reports related to the various departments of the College of Fine Arts. Departments and entities included are:
- Department of Art, Design and Art History
- Department of Dance
- Department of Music
- Department of Theater, Film and Television
- Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts
- Motion Picture/Television Division
- Theater Arts Department
- UCLA Center for the Performing Arts
- UCLA Chancellor's Office
- UCLA Film and Television Archive
- Wight Art Gallery
- World Arts & Culture Program