Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (141.11 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Provenance
  • Restrictions on Access
  • Restrictions on Use and Reproduction
  • Preferred Citation
  • Biography
  • Scope and Content Note
  • Indexing Terms
  • Related Material

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: William F. Cody Papers 2,
    Date (inclusive): 1918-1980 ,
    Date (bulk): 1950-1975
    Collection number: MS 163
    Creator: Cody, William Francis, 1916-1978
    Extent: 41 boxes (30 linear feet) 19 flat file drawers 11 tubes
    Repository: Special Collections, Robert E. Kennedy Library
    California Polytechnic State University
    San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
    Abstract: The William F. Cody Papers 2 (MS 163) contains personal papers, student work, awards, architectural drawings and plans, office records, marketing and public relations materials, presentation drawings, photographs, correspondence, and project files from the architect's estate, acquired through purchase from his daughter in 2008-09.

    Provenance

    Purchased from Catherine Cody in 2008-2009.

    Restrictions on Access

    Collection is open to qualified researchers by appointment only. For more information on access policies and to obtain a copy of the Researcher Registration form, please visit the Special Collections Access page. Advance notice for use required.

    Restrictions on Use and Reproduction

    In order to reproduce, publish, broadcast, exhibit, and/or quote from this material, researchers must submit a written request and obtain formal permission from Special Collections, Cal Poly, as the owner of the physical collection.
    Photocopying of material is permitted at staff discretion and provided on a fee basis. Photocopies are not to be used for any purpose other than for private study, scholarship, or research. Special Collections staff reserves the right to limit photocopying and deny access or reproduction in cases when, in the opinion of staff, the original materials would be harmed.

    Preferred Citation

    William F. Cody Papers 2, 1918-1980, Special Collections, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.
    Abbreviations Used:
    c.: circa
    n.d.: no date
    n.p.: no publisher
    l.f.: linear feet
    c.f.: cubic feet
    FF: flat file
    USC: University of Southern California
    AIA: American Institute of Architects
    FAIA: Fellow, American Institute of Architects
    HVAC: Heating, ventilation, air conditioning

    Biography

    William Francis Cody, Fellow, American Institute of Architects (1916-1978) was an influential Desert Modern architect who practiced in Palm Springs at the peak of the Modernist movement. Between 1946 and 1973, Cody maintained a diverse practice in California's Coachella Valley, designing country clubs, residences, hotels, library, and church projects in the local communities of Palm Springs, Indian Wells, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, and in southern California, Arizona, Mexico, and Cuba.
    Cody was born on 19 June 1916 in Dayton, Ohio, to William F. Cody, Sr., who owned a haberdashery and Anna Elizabeth Shadle, an interior designer. Cody and his brother John were both influenced by their mother's passion for art and architecture.
    By 1930, the Codys had relocated to Los Angeles. While attending Beverly Hills High School, Cody designed and built stage sets for school plays with the son of Warner Bros. founder Jack L. Warner. Cody graduated from high school in April 1934 and began work the following year for architects Heath Warton and Asa Hudson while attending Santa Monica Junior College, graduating in 1939.
    In 1940, Cody enrolled in the College of Architecture and Fine Arts at the University of Southern California, earning a Bachelor's degree in Architecture in 1942. At University of Southern California Cody was exposed to the Bauhaus style of art, architecture, and interior design, which emphasized a minimalist Modernism that would come to define Cody's own work. Another influence during this time was Cody's work for Cliff May, a leading southern California licensed building designer. According to a résumé found in the collection and his Fellow, American Institute of Architects nomination, Cody worked in 1944 on May's influential Pace-Setter House, a modernized, low-cost California ranch house design.
    That same year, Cody married Winifred Smith, with whom he had three daughters: Diane Louise (b. 1944), Winifred Lynne (b. 1948), and Catherine Louise (b. 1954).
    In 1943, he worked for an Oakland engineering firm on a Kaiser steel plant in Fontana, California. That same year, he also worked for the San Francisco firm of Blanchard, Maher and Ward on Navy installations on Treasure Island. The following year, he worked for Marsh, Smith and Powell in Los Angeles, primarily on National Design Award-winning elementary and high school buildings in California and Arizona.
    In March of 1946, Cody was licensed to practice architecture in California and secured his Arizona license the following month. In 1948, he applied for membership in the American Institute of Architects, listing his office location on Santa Monica Blvd. in Los Angeles.
    In 1945, Cody was retained to alter the Desert Inn, his first commission in Palm Springs. In 1947 he completed the Del Marcos Hotel, his first independent commission, which was recognized by the American Institute of Architects Southern California Chapter with an honorable mention.
    Post-World War II Palm Springs was becoming a fashionable weekend and winter retreat for the rich and famous, and Cody's career flourished along with the city. He moved his practice and his family to Palm Springs. In 1950, he was retained to lead the successful conversion of the Thunderbird Dude Ranch into the Thunderbird Country Club, which led to commissions to design or alter clubhouses, recreational facilities, and residential developments at Eldorado Country Club (with Ernest J. Kump), Tamarisk Country Club, the Racquet Club, and the Tennis Club. In 1960, he began almost a decade of work altering and expanding the Palm Springs Spa Hotel.
    Cody's specialization in country club clubhouses with related residential developments led to additional commissions in California, Arizona, Texas, Cuba, and Mexico. His residential projects emphasized key elements of Modernism: simplicity of form, natural light, and large windows offering a seamless connection between residential interiors and the outdoors.
    A member of American Institute of Architects since 1948, Cody was elevated to Fellowship in the American Institute of Architects in 1965, with the following projects cited on his nomination as Achievements in Architectural Design:
    William Francis Cody Residence Palm Springs, CA 1946
    Del Marcos Hotel Palm Springs, CA 1947
    Levin Residence Palm Springs, CA 1948
    Haines Office Building Beverly Hills, CA 1949
    Mission Valley Country Club San Diego, CA 1953
    Jorgensen Residence Palm Springs, CA 1954
    Springs Restaurant Palm Springs, CA 1956
    El Dorado Country Club Palm Desert, CA 1958
    Spa Bathhouse Palm Springs, CA 1958
    Clare Residence Palm Springs, CA 1959
    Nicoletti Residence Palm Springs, CA 1960
    Palo Alto Hills Golf and Country Club Palo Alto, CA 1961
    Roundhill Country Club Alamo, CA 1961
    Sloane Residence La Quinta, CA 1961
    Western Savings & Loan Tempe, AZ 1961
    Cannon Residence Palm Desert, CA 1962
    Driggs Residence Phoenix, AZ 1962
    Spa Bathhouse - Hotel Palm Springs, CA 1962
    Abernathy Residence Palm Springs, CA 1963
    Shamel Residence Palm Desert, CA 1963
    Western Savings & Loan Phoenix, AZ 1964
    Cody also worked extensively with Robert P. McCulloch, an industrialist who parlayed his racing-engine manufacturing fortune into diverse business interests, including oil and gas exploration, electronics, and land and real estate development. When McCulloch founded Lake Havasu City, Arizona, Cody designed, altered and added to McCulloch Corporation chain saw plants there. For McCulloch Properties, Inc., Cody designed Arizona residential developments in Lake Havasu City and Fountain Hills in Scottsdale, and an Eldorado tract in Indian Wells, California. He also designed a McCulloch corporate complex near LAX and alterations and an addition to a house for McCulloch and his wife at Thunderbird Country Club in 1972.
    Cody's last notable commissions were located in Palm Springs: St. Theresa Catholic Church and Convent (1966-68) and buildings for the Palm Springs Planning Collaborative, including the Palm Springs Public Library (1973) in the Brutalist style. A stroke then limited his career until his death on 29 August 1978 in Palm Springs.
    Sources
    The American Institute of Architects Archives, Record Group 803, Membership Files. "Application for Membership," 1948, "Application for Corporate Membership," 1948, and "Nomination for Fellowship — Case Record," 1964.
    The Architecture of William F. Cody: A Desert Retrospective. Palm Springs: Palm Springs Preservation Foundation, 2004.
    Cygelman, Adéle. Palm Springs Modern: Houses in the California Desert. New York: Rizzoli International Publications, 1999.
    "Experience Record of William F. Cody," Box 2 Folder 2, William F. Cody Papers, Special Collections, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, circa 1948
    Hess, Alan and Andrew Danish. Palm Springs Weekend: The Architecture and Design of a Midcentury Oasis. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2001.
    Hess, Alan. Forgotten Modern: California Houses 1940-1970. Santa Barbara: Gibbs Smith, 2007.

    Scope and Content Note

    The William F. Cody Papers 2 (MS 163) contains personal papers, student work, awards, architectural drawings and plans, office records, marketing and public relations materials, presentation drawings, photographs, correspondence, and project files from the architect's estate, acquired through purchase from his daughter in 2008-09.
    At the time that Cody closed his office, family members split the records and drawings of the practice and stored them in various locations. Researchers are strongly advised to consult the guide to the first, separate, and substantial gift of Cody drawings and papers given to Cal Poly in 1984 (William F. Cody Papers, Fellow, American Institute of Architects, MS 007).
    The collection is divided into five series:
    1. Personal Papers, 1918-1980, including childhood sketches, biographical information, extensive pre-collegiate and University of Southern California student work, and financial records;
    2. Professional Papers, 1946-1979, including certifications; awards, plaques and certificates; and scrapbooks/tearsheets;
    3. Office Records, 1944-1976, including appointment books, correspondence with clients and colleagues, extensive project portfolios, presentation photographs, and presentation drawings
    4. Project Records, 1943-1973, including files, photographs, plans and drawings on residential, recreational, and commercial commissions
    5. McCulloch Project Records, 1967-1972, including extensive project plans for industrialist Robert P. McCulloch and his related companies.
    The collection is housed in 19 flat file drawers and 41 Hollinger containers and 11 tubes. The most significant portions of the collection — project records for wide variety of Cody commissions in the Coachella Valley, Arizona, and Havana — are located in Series 4. The collection is also rich in Cody's student work.
    Most of the plans in the collection are Ozalids, a monochromatic copying process producing diazo prints, common to the mid-twentieth century. Many of the Ozalids and oversized plans are in poor condition. Some drawings, primarily preliminary sketches or mechanical drawings produced in consultation, have been left in project files, when relocation would have deterred research. Job numbers from Cody's practice are given, when known, but some errors in duplicate numbering have been found. With the exception of the presentation photographs in Series 3.D. and the project portfolios, there are few images in the collection.
    Some project names changed before completion; drawings are located under the project's as-built name, when known. Town and city names and boundaries may also have changed; drawings are located under the current name of the town or city.
    Where possible, the provenance, or original organization, of the papers has been preserved. However, in order to simplify access to the collection for researchers, some materials in specific formats and subject areas were reorganized and refoldered to more accurately reflect their contents.

    The National Endowment for the Humanities has generously funded the arrangement and description of this collection, along with matching funds from California Polytechnic State University.

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.

    Subjects

    Architecture--1950-1980.
    Architecture--20th century.
    Architecture--America.
    Architecture and climate--California.
    Architecture and recreation--United States.
    Architecture--California.
    Architecture--California--Long Beach.
    Architecture--California--Los Angeles--1940-1990.
    Architecture--California--Palm Springs--History--20th century.
    Architecture--California--Los Angeles Region--History--20th century.
    Architecture--California--Santa Monica--Pictorial works.
    Architecture--California, Southern.
    Palm Springs (Calif.) Buildings, structures, etc.
    Palm Springs, Calif. Kaufmann Desert House.
    Modernism (Architecture)
    Architecture--Arizona.
    Architecture, Domestic--Arid regions--California--Palm Springs.
    Modern movement (Architecture)--Palm Springs--Catalogs.
    Architecture, Modern--20th century.
    Palo Alto Hills Golf and Country Club (Palo Alto, Calif.)
    Club de Golf (Mexico)
    Nineteen Sixties
    Nineteen Seventies
    Shulman, Julius, 1910-2009
    Cody, William F., 1916-1978
    Architectural drawings and plans
    Correspondence
    Awards
    Presentation Photographs
    Presentation Drawings
    Business records

    Genre and Forms of Material:

    Architectural drawings and plans
    Correspondence
    Awards
    Presentation Photographs
    Presentation drawings
    Business records

    Related Material

    Materials Cataloged Separately:
    California Register. 1954.
    Hitchcock, Henry Russell, and Arthur Drexler, ed. Built in USA: Post-War Architecture. New York: Museum of Modern Art, 1952.
    "Hotel at Palm Springs, Calif. — William F. Cody Architect." Britannica Book of the Year. 1950. [p.61]
    Los Angeles Blue Book. 1965.
    Personages: Palm Springs-Coachella Valley, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977.
    Pinkston, Mary Anne. "Structure Is the Design." Desert Magazine October 2004: 72-77.
    Shess, Thomas. "Palm Springs Pied-À-Terre: San Diego Developers Land a Masterpiece in the Desert." San Diego December 2001: 121-125.
    Wakamatsu, Daisy. "Wanderlust Travel Top 25." Special Issue of Wallpaper Wanderlust 1998: 91.
    Related Collections:
    Special Collections, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
    William F. Cody Papers, 1924-1975 (MS 007)