The records of the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) document the earliest years of the California Medical Assistance
Program (Medi-Cal), which was established in 1965. This record group contains 20.5 cubic feet of textual records and 12 audio
reels. The records are organized into three subgroups, contain a total of fifteen record series, and cover the period from
1966 to 1973.
Chapter 2037 (Statutes 1961) established the Health and Welfare Agency, which was responsible for the oversight of the Departments of Social Welfare,
Public Health, and Mental Hygiene. Chapter 1747 (Statutes 1963) added the Department of Rehabilitation, the Citizens Advisory Committee on Aging, and the Office of Atomic Energy Development
and Radiation Protection to the Health and Welfare Agency.
20.5 cubic feet of textual records and 12 audio reels
For permission to reproduce or publish, please consult California State Archives staff. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives, Office of the Secretary of State, Sacramento, as the owner of the physical
items. The researcher assumes all responsibility for possible infringement that may arise from reproduction or publication
of materials from the California State Archives' collections.
While the majority of the records are open for research, any access restrictions are noted in the record series descriptions.