Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
San José State University Department of Aviation and Technology Records
MSS.2010.06.08  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (74.46 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Project Information
  • Processing Information
  • Organizational History
  • Arrangement

  • Language of Material: English
    Contributing Institution: SJSU Special Collections & Archives
    Title: San José State University Department of Aviation and Technology Records
    source: San José State University
    source: San Jose State College
    creator: Leonard, Thomas E., 1922-
    Identifier/Call Number: MSS.2010.06.08
    Physical Description: 10 boxes (8 linear feet)
    Date (inclusive): 1934-1996
    Abstract: The San José State University Department of Aviation and Technology Records (1934-1996) include reports and publications concerning technical reports and test fuel cells for the aviation department, newspaper articles, instructional materials, audio cassette tapes, papers and publications concerning the department, the Flying 20, a student flying organization associated with the Aviation Department, and many photographs depicting students and professors.

    Access

    The collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has been assigned to the San José State University Library Special Collections & Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Special Collections & Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

    Preferred Citation

    San José State University Department of Aviation and Technology Records, MSS-2010-06-08, San José State University Library Special Collections & Archives.

    Project Information

    This finding aid was created as part of the Survey and Cataloging Project, a two-year San José State University Library grant project funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. The project began in 2008 with Danelle Moon as the Project Director and Erin Louthen as the Project Archivist.

    Processing Information

    Collection processed by Robert Donahue. Finding aid EAD encoded by Robert Donahue. Reviewed by Danelle Moon. Accruals were added in 2016 and in 2017, and the collection was rearranged in 2017, by Grace Song.

    Organizational History

    In 1857 the San Francisco Board of Education established Minns' Evening Normal School for current and prospective teachers in the city. Named after its principal, George W. Minns, the institution was formally established as the first California State Normal School by the State Legislature in 1862. A decade later, the Legislature voted to move the Normal School to San Jose, and the school relocated to its new home on Washington Square prior to the fall term of 1872. After a fire destroyed the Normal School building in 1880, the Legislature authorized $200,000 to construct a new building on the same site. Completed in 1881, the building was commonly referred to as the Second State Normal School. After several names and curriculum changes, Minns' Normal School is now San José State University, offering more than 134 bachelor's and master's degrees with 110 concentrations, and is recognized as one of the top public universities granting such degrees in the West.
    The San Jose State University Aeronautics Department began in the 1936-1937 school year. At the time it was called the Civil Pilot Training program and was sponsored by the U.S. government in anticipation of World War II. During World War II, the Aeronautics Department was used extensively for training pilots for the war and several of the instructors who taught after 1945 had been involved in aviation. In 1945, the Civil Pilot Training program became the Aeronautics Department and was located in the basement of the San Jose State College Physics Building as part of the Engineering and Mathematics Program. The Aeronautics Department was renamed the Aviation Department in 1988 and in 2001 again was renamed the Aviation and Technology Department.

    Arrangement

    This collection is arranged into eight series: Series I. Technical Reports (1951-1968); Series II. T.E. Leonard Papers (1953-1995); Series III. News Clippings and Publications (1934-1993); Series IV. Event Programs and Brochures (1950-1995); Series V. Student Papers (1934-1996); Series VI. Photographs (1938-1994); Series VII. Instructional Materials (undated); and Series VIII. Audio Cassette Tapes (1974-1983).

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    San José State University -- History
    Aeronautics -- California -- San Jose
    San José State University Aeronautics Dept. -- History
    San José State University Aviation Dept. -- History
    San José State University
    San Jose State College
    Leonard, Thomas E., 1922-