The collection consists mainly of court and financial records from Bodie,
California, as well as some later articles and notes with information on Bodie’s
Bodie, California, is named after William S. Bodey, who discovered placer gold there
in 1859. The first mill was established in 1861 and the town that once consisted of
20 miners grew to an estimated 10,000 inhabitants by 1879. However, by 1882 the boom
was over and the town started to decline as many of the mines paid out and the
mining companies went bankrupt. Major fires in 1892 and 1932 destroyed much of the
town’s business district and by the 1940s Bodie had become a ghost town. In 1964
Bodie was made into a California state park. .
In order to quote from, publish, or reproduce any of the manuscripts or visual
materials, researchers must obtain formal permission from the office of the
Library Director. In most instances, permission is given by the Huntington as
owner of the physical property rights only, and researchers must also obtain
permission from the holder of the literary rights. In some instances, the
Huntington owns the literary rights, as well as the physical property rights.
Researchers may contact the appropriate curator for further information.
Collection is open to qualified researchers by prior application through the
Reader Services Department. For more information, please go to the following