A collection of photographs (positives and negatives)
taken during the construction of the Barlow Medical Library building in Los
Angeles during 1906-1907 by the architect, Robert D. Farquhar, or his
As a service to the students of the College of Medicine, University of
Southern California, of which he was a faculty member, and to the practicing
physicians of Los Angeles, Dr. Walter Jarvis Barlow funded the construction of a
handsome domed building just across the street from the College to house a
medical library open to all members of the medical profession. The building was
dedicated in 1907 and deeded by Dr. Barlow to the Los Angeles College Clinical
Association (a non-profit holding corporation of the College of Medicine).
Control and management of the library collection was vested in the Board of
Trustees of the Barlow Medical Library Association.
Property rights in the physical objects belong to the UCLA Biomedical
Library. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the creators and
their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds
the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission
to publish if the Biomedical Library does not hold the copyright.
Collection is open for research.