Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Pinal Dome Oil Company records, 1893-1926
220  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (111.19 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Biography
  • Scope and Content
  • Organization and Arrangement
  • Indexing Terms
  • Related Material

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Pinal Dome Oil Company records
    Date (inclusive): 1893-1926
    Collection number: 220
    Creator: Pinal Dome Oil Company
    Extent: 110 boxes (55 linear ft.) 9 oversize boxes
    Abstract: The Pinal Oil Company originated in Santa Maria, California, ca. 1901; the original nine directors, constituting the bulk of the stockholders, were: E.W. Clark, J.W. Atkinson (vice president), Marks Fleisher (president), Sam Fleisher, D.D. Barnard, C.E. Reed, A.H. McKay, Pat Moore, and James F. Goodwin (secretary). The company later merged with Dome Oil Company (ca. 1911) to form the Pinal Dome Oil Company and was bought by Union Oil ca. July 1917. The collection consists primarily of business correspondence and financial records but also contains blueprints and maps, inventories, journals, transcripts of lawsuits, and well drilling reports.
    Language: Finding aid is written in English.
    Repository: University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections.
    Los Angeles, California 90095-1575
    Physical location: Stored off-site at SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact the UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.

    Administrative Information

    Restrictions on Access

    COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.

    Restrictions on Use and Reproduction

    Property rights to the physical object belong to the UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC Regents do not hold the copyright.

    Provenance/Source of Acquisition

    Gift of Guy L. Goodwin, 1942. Additions in March and April 1991.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Pinal Dome Oil Company records (Collection Number 220). Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.

    Processing Note

    Processed by Brandon Barton and Simon Elliott, 12/07/2010.
    Processing of the Pinal Dome Oil Company records was generously funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and administered by the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR). The UCLA Library Special Collections was awarded a Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives grant from 2010-2012, "Uncovering California's Environmental Collections," in collaboration with eight additional special collections and archival repositories throughout the state and the California Digital Library (CDL). Grant objectives included processing of over 33 hidden collections related to the state's environment and environmental history. The collections document an array of important sub-topics such as irrigation, mining, forestry, agriculture, industry, land use, activism, and research. Together they form a multifaceted picture of the natural world and the way it was probed, altered, exploited and protected in California over the twentieth century. Finding aids are made available through the Online Archive of California (OAC).

    Biography

    The Pinal Oil Company originated in Santa Maria, California, ca. 1901; the original nine directors, constituting the bulk of the stockholders, were: E.W. Clark, J.W. Atkinson (vice president), Marks Fleisher (president), Sam Fleisher, D.D. Barnard, C.E. Reed, A.H. McKay, Pat Moore, and James F. Goodwin (secretary). The company later merged with Dome Oil Company (ca. 1911) to form the Pinal Dome Oil Company and was bought by Union Oil ca. July 1917.

    Scope and Content

    The collection consists primarily of business correspondence and financial records but also contains blueprints and maps, inventories, journals, transcripts of lawsuits, and well drilling reports.

    Organization and Arrangement

    Arranged in the following series:
    1. Blueprints and Maps (Includes blueprints and plans for buildings, gasoline storage facilities, and equipment and maps of Santa Maria Fields and other oil production sites)
    2. Company History (Documents related to history of Pinal Dome Oil Company)
    3. Correspondence (Comprised of business correspondence and personal correspondence between Pinal Oil, Dome Oil, and Pinal Dome Oil and their respective allies and subsidiaries)
    4. Financial Records and Reports (Includes account books, ledgers, stock certificates, payrolls, and tax documents of Pinal Dome Oil Company and its subsidiaries)
    5. Inventories and Tour Reports (Consists of driller's tour reports, well reports, and inventories of refineries and production)
    6. Legal Documents (Abstracts of title, by-laws, articles of incorporation, and indentures belonging to Pinal Dome Oil Company and its allies and subsidiaries)

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.

    Subjects

    Pinal Dome Oil Company--Records and correspondence.
    Petroleum industry and trade--California--Archival resources.
    Uncovering California's Environmental Collections Project.

    Related Material

    Union Oil Company of California Records (Collection 449)  . Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, University of California, Los Angeles.