Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Uplifters Club Records, 1909-1976
2062  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (84.78 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • History
  • Scope and Content
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Uplifters Club Records
    Date (inclusive): 1909-1976
    Collection number: 2062
    Creator: Uplifters Club.
    Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.) 3 oversize boxes.
    Abstract: The Uplifters Club was founded in Dec. 1913 at the Los Angeles Athletic Club by Harry Marston Haldeman and a small group of business and professional men; acquired a country home in Rustic Canyon; activities included monthly dinner meetings, polo games, annual outings, and organized entertainment at which stage and screen celebrities performed; the Club ended in 1947. Includes minute books, miscellaneous financial, real estate, and other records, photographs, copy photographs, clippings, and ephemera relating to Rustic Canyon.
    Repository: University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections.
    Los Angeles, California 90095-1575
    Physical location: Stored off-site at SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact the UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.

    History

    The Uplifters Club derived from the dinner meetings of a group of Los Angeles Athletic Club members, prominent amongst whom was Harry Marston Haldeman. Their first official dinner as Uplifters was held on December 10, 1913 and their purpose was to "uplift art, promote good fellowship and build a closer aquaintance," among members. Social traditions that were established in addition to the dinner meetings included Annual Outings and Poets' Dinners, and High Jinx. L. Frank Baum was a founder member and wrote the official song, "Haldeman."
    During the twenties, the Uplifters acquired a country home in Rustic Canyon, Santa Monica, which was incorporated in 1920, after which the history of the management of Country Home and the Uplifters Social Club are intertwined. A Club house was built and dedicated in 1923 and other facilities added included a polo field. Social events continued through the thirties and, gradually dwindling in number, into the forties. The Club ended in 1947.
    The records in this collection were brought together by Mrs. Betty Lou Young and her son Thomas in the course of research for their (Box 2, folder 12) which contains a chapter entitled, "The Story of the Uplifters. In search of the Land of Oz," pages 53-86.

    Scope and Content

    Collection consists of minute books, miscellaneous financial, real estate, and other records, photographs, copy photographs, clippings, and ephemera. Includes an historical account of the Club, a photograph album of members, photographs of the Will Rogers Ranch, sheet music and song books, a copy of the articles of incorporation, and ephemera relating to Rustic Canyon.

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.

    Subjects

    Uplifters Club --Archives.

    Genres and Forms of Material

    Photographs.