Records of the UCSD Natural Land and Water Reserves System (NLWRS), later designated as the Natural Reserve System, established
in 1965 as part of the University of California Natural Reserves System represents materials from both the UC Natural Reserves
System and the UCSD Natural Reserve System, including the Dawson/Los Monos Canyon Reserve, the Elliott Chaparral Reserve,
the Kendall Frost Mission Bay Marsh Reserve, the Scripps Coastal Reserve/Knoll, and the Ryan Oak Glen Reserve (1973-1987).
The files associated with the individual reserves contain species lists, correspondence, maps, administrative and maintenance
files, newspaper clippings, and photographic materials. The inclusive dates of the collection are 1948-1999; however, the
bulk of the material dates from 1962-1994. The administrative files are arranged in two series: 1) UC Natural Reserves System
and 2) UCSD Natural Reserve System.
The UCSD Natural Land and Water Reserves System (NLWRS), redesignated in 1983 as the Natural Reserve System (NRS), was formally
established in 1965 as part of the systemwide University of California Natural Land and Water Reserves System created to preserve,
protect, and study the native terrestrial, riparian, and marine habitats of California. The founder and first chairperson
of the UC Natural Land and Water Reserves System was Kenneth Norris, professor of zoology at the University of California,