The collection consists of documents, photographs, and a small number of three-dimensional artifacts produced or housed by
the West Adams Christian Church (formerly the Japanese Christian Church) from its inception in 1908 to the 1970s. During World
War II the All People's Church used the Japanese Christian Church's facilities, thereby preserving all pre-war records at
the facility. The collections' strengths include Japanese language material from the 1920s-1930s, detailed correspondence
and reports on resettlement and the return of church members to the area, and an associated book collection (see 2004.227).
In addition to materials produced by the church, newsletters of other churches and local/regional ecumenical organizations
were collected and housed in the church's office, and are included in the collection. These include Southern California Japanese
Christian Church Federation reports, summer school (held annually at Terminal Island Baptist Church) newsletters and other
In 1904, as part of the Disciples of Christ's ministry to the Issei men living and working near Los Angeles at the turn of
the twentieth century, the denomination funded the Japanese Christian Institute which served as temporary housing for immigrants
and through which ministers conducted English and Bible lessons. The Institute was supervised by the United Christian Missionary
Society, the Disciples of Christ's missions organization. In 1908, the Japanese Christian Church was initiated by a group
of Japanese immigrants as part of the Institute's outreach activities. The first Japanese pastor, Teizo Kawai, was invited
in 1909 from Japan and the Institute and church moved to 936 Wall Street in 1911. By this time, the Institute was also conducting
kindergarten classes for children and sewing classes for women.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in this collection must be submitted to the Hirasaki
National Resource Center at the Japanese American National Museum (email@example.com).
By appointment only.
Please Contact the Collections Management and Access Unit by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (213-830-5615).