The Personal Papers of Lee Francis Duncan
Finding aid prepared by Jason Rogers
San Diego Air and Space Museum Library and Archives
2001 Pan American Plaza, Balboa Park
San Diego, CA, 92101
Title: Lee Francis Duncan Personal Papers
Identifier/Call Number: SDASM.SC.0020
San Diego Air and Space Museum Library and Archives
Language of Material:
0.4 Linear feet
1 manuscript box
Date (inclusive): 1928-1953
Lee Francis Duncan was a member of the early U.S. air mail crews. He also flew for United Airlines and was a member of the
Army during World War II.
Language of Materials note:
Duncan, Lee Francis, 1906-
Lee Francis Duncan was born in 1906 in Rome, Kansas. After graduating high school in Braman, Oklahoma, he began flying cadet
training in 1925 in San Antonio. He was a pilot for United Airlines and in the Air Corp. Reserve. In 1941 he transferred to
the War Department Reserve Pool. He flew as a noncombatant as a United Air Lines Pilot for Army Transport in the Pacific between
1943 and 1945. In 1928, Duncan flew Executive Mail during a presidential trip to Wisconsin. He was later part of the crew
that made the first airmail stop in Grand Island, Nebraska.
Conditions Governing Access note
The collection is open to researchers by appointment.
Conditions Governing Use note
Some copyright may be reserved. Consult with the library director for more information.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Unknown; acquired by the San Diego Air & Space Museum after 1978.
Preferred Citation note
[Item], [Collection], Archive, San Diego Air & Space Museum
Scope and Contents note
This collection contains material related to Lee Francis Duncan’s career as a pilot with United Airlines and the Air Corp.
Related Archival Materials note
Related SDASM Resources: Army Air Corp. Air Mail Accidents Feb – April 1934
Images from this Collection have been digitized and placed on Flickr
Digitized images from this collection on Flickr.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Air Mail Service--United States--1930-1940
Folder 01 – Identification and Certificates
1. United Air Lines Transport Corporation Identification Card.
2. Territory of Hawaii Identification Certificate.
3. Air Line Pilots Association Flying Card.
4. Restricted Area Pass.
5. War Department Air Carrier Contract Personnel Identification Card.
6. Trip of the President Card.
7. Western Union Collect Card.
8. Office of the Post Commander Elmendorf Field, Alaska Certificate.
9. Lee F. Duncan United Airlines business card.
10. Pilot’s Certification of Registration, Utah State Aeronautics Commission.
11. Pilot’s License, Nebraska Aeronautics Commission.
12. Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit.
13. Radiotelephone, Department of Commerce Kansas City certificate.
14. Radiotelephone, Department of Commerce Chicago certificate.
15. Motor Vehicle Operator’s Permit.
16. Immunization Register, United Airlines Transport Corporation.
17. United Air Lines, Inc. Identification Card.
18. Omaha Air Races Contestant.
19. Green Card privileges certificate.
20. Boeing Companies Christmas and New Year Card.
21. Notice of appointment to Second Lieutenant in the Air Corps, August 16, 1929.
22. Notice of appointment to First Lieutenant in the Air Corps, March 28, 1933.
23. Notice of appointment to First Lieutenant in the Air Corps, March 28, 1938.
Folder 02 – Documents: Cadet Requirements/Training, Tax Returns, Physical Examinations
1. Scope of Educational Examination for Appointment as Flying Cadet.
2. General Requirements for Flight Eligibility for appointment as Flying Cadet.
3. Basic Flying Course at Air Corps Advanced Flying School.
4. To Fly Towards a Station on a Given Track.
5. Individual Income Tax Return, for 1929.
6. Individual Income Tax Return, for 1930.
7. Periodic Physical Examination (Flying Personnel).
8. Group Accident and Sickness or Hospital Expense Claim.
9. Questionnaire for DA Ago Form 66.
Folder 03 – Notes and Sketches
1. Hand written note on airports from May 1949.
2. Note on determining present and desired position with hand written instructions.
3. Chicago Instrument Approach Chart with hand-written notes.
4. 2 pages of hand written instructions on airplane operation.
Folder 04 – Notebooks and Diaries
1. Aeronautical Vest pocket Handbook.
2. Airplane Automatic Pilot Instructions notebook.
3. Diary, 1943 notebook.
4. Personal sketch and notebook with equations and drawings and interweaved with loose paper with notes.
Folder 05 – Correspondence
1. Western Union with hand written note.
2. Telegraph From Lee.
3. Telegraph to Mrs. L.F. Duncan.
4. Major General Robert C. Davis to Mr. Lee F. Duncan, April 20, 1925.
5. Ira F. Fravel to Mr. Lee Francis Duncan, August 4, 1925.
6. Asbury W. Meadows to Cadet Lee F. Duncan, February 23, 1927.
7. Major General Smith to John B. Shuman, June 12, 1928.
8. John Doe to All Pilots, June 28, 1928.
9. Western Union to Commanding Officer, August 8, 1928.
10. Duncan to Presidential Air Mail, September 11, 1928.
11. Robert E.M. Goolrick to Commanding General, October 1, 1928.
12. Major General Smith to J.B. Wilson, March 23. 1929.
13. John E. Leopold (and unidentified signature) to Lee F. Duncan, July 6, 1930.
14. David L. Behncke to Mr. Lee F. Duncan, February 7, 1934.
15. Adjutant General to First Lieutenant Lee Francis Duncan, March 9, 1938.
16. Adjutant General to First Lieutenant Lee Francis Duncan, May 26, 1941.
17. C.M.A. to Duncan, Lee Francis, June 2, 1941.
18. Lee to Family, August 16, 1945.
Folder 06 – Newspaper Clippings and Flying Kadet Newsletter
1. “Plenty of Planes and People”, 1932.
2. “Pilots Ask Air Trade Fleet”, circa 1933.
3. “Listen to Papa’s Plane”, circa 1937.
4. The Flying Kadet, Vol. 1 No. 1, September 15, 1926.
5. The Flying Kadet, Vol. 1 No. 2, October 1, 1926.
6. The Flying Kadet, Vol. 2 No. 1, April 1, 1927.
7. The Flying Kadet, Vol. 2 No. 2, May 1, 1927.
Folder 07 – Miscellaneous Documents and Bar Pin
1. Bar Pin.
2. War Department Clearance for Aircraft.
3. Boeing Air Transport, Inc. Expense for August 1930.
4. Intermediate Landing Field and Beacon Site Data, Los Angeles-Denver Airway.
5. A History of the Hall County Whisker Club May 6-July 5 1932 booklet.
Folder 08 – Photographs
1. 14 photographs, various sizes, of Lee Francis Duncan and friends, including one hand colored photograph.
Folder 09 – Oversize Certificates
1. Notice of appointment to Second Lieutenant in the Air Corps, June 7, 1928, given June 7, 1928.
2. Notice of appointment to Second Lieutenant in the Air Corps, June 7, 1928, given December 19, 1928.