Harris Manufacturing Company

Processed by Trish Richards
Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
University of the Pacific Library
3601 Pacific Ave.
Stockton, CA 95211
Phone: (209) 946-2404
Fax: (209) 946-2942
URL: http://www.pacific.edu/Library/Find/Holt-Atherton-Special-Collections.html
© 2007
University of the Pacific. All rights reserved.

Harris Manufacturing Company

Collection number: MSS 312

Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections

University of the Pacific Library

Stockton, California
Processed by:
Processed by Trish Richards
Date Completed:
2006
Encoded by:
Michael Wurtz
© 2007 University of the Pacific. All rights reserved.

Descriptive Summary

Title: Harris Manufacturing Company
Dates: 1890-1995
Bulk Dates: 1902-1941
Collection number: MSS 312
Creator: Harris, George H.
Collection Size: .5 feet
Repository: University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Dept. of Special Collections
Stockton, California 95211
Abstract: The collection is comprised of business papers (with equipment specifications and blueprints), newspaper and journal articles, and photographs.
Physical location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Languages: Languages represented in the collection: English

Access

Collection open for research.

Publication Rights

Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.

Preferred Citation

Harris Manufacturing Company . MSS 312. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library.

Biography / Administrative History

George H. Harris (1871-1934) lived in Stockton, California and worked for Matteson and Williamson farm equipment company in the 1890s. By 1902 he was superintendent and manager; that same year he started his own company, and in 1904 it was incorporated under the title Harris Manufacturing Company. George Harris was president of the company until 1928, after which he remained major stockholder until his death in 1934.
Harris Manufacturing Company began as a repair shop for harvesting equipment. Repairing, rebuilding, and experimenting with gas engines were the activities of the first few years. Harvesters and combines were produced, and by 1912 plans were made for a new factory because of the increased demand for gas harvesters. The business closed in 1956.

Scope and Content of Collection

In the early 20th century, the Central Valley was a leading producer of grain. The Harris collection shows the progression of agricultural harvesting, from horse-drawn machinery to the gas combine harvester. Of special significance are the photos and blueprint of the Side Hill Harvester, a Harris original.
The collection is comprised of business papers, including patents, Articles of Incorporation, Transfer of Ownership, as well as some items on equipment specifications and ledger notes. There are newspaper and journal articles ranging from 1929 to 1995. The more than 50 photographs include views of machinery, buildings, Mr. Harris, staff, and workers.

Indexing Terms

The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
Grain - Harvesting machines
Harvesting - California - San Joaquin County


Container List

 

Box 1

 

Series 1: History

 

1.1 Journal and newspaper articles (1929 to 1995).

 

Series 2: Business Papers

 

1.2 Includes articles of incorporation and Side Hill Harvester patent.

 

Series 3: Equipment Specifications

 

1.3 Includes a blueprint of the Side Hill Harvester.

 

Series 4: Photographs

 

1.4.1-6: Horse-drawn harvesters

 

1.5.7-22: Powered harvesters

 

1.6.23-26: Side Hill harvesters

 

1.7.27-33: Harris Manufacturing Company staff and factory

 

1.8.34-45: Harris Manufacturing Company machinery

 

1.9.46-49: Matteson & Williamson

 

1.10.50-51: George Harris