Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Harris Manufacturing Company
MSS 312  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (56.17 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Biography / Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Harris Manufacturing Company
    Dates: 1890-1995
    Bulk Dates: 1902-1941
    Collection number: MSS 312
    Creator: Harris, George H.
    Collection Size: .5 feet
    Repository: University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Dept. of Special Collections
    Stockton, California 95211
    Abstract: The collection is comprised of business papers (with equipment specifications and blueprints), newspaper and journal articles, and photographs.
    Physical location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
    Languages: Languages represented in the collection: English

    Access

    Collection open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.

    Preferred Citation

    Harris Manufacturing Company . MSS 312. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library.

    Biography / Administrative History

    George H. Harris (1871-1934) lived in Stockton, California and worked for Matteson and Williamson farm equipment company in the 1890s. By 1902 he was superintendent and manager; that same year he started his own company, and in 1904 it was incorporated under the title Harris Manufacturing Company. George Harris was president of the company until 1928, after which he remained major stockholder until his death in 1934.
    Harris Manufacturing Company began as a repair shop for harvesting equipment. Repairing, rebuilding, and experimenting with gas engines were the activities of the first few years. Harvesters and combines were produced, and by 1912 plans were made for a new factory because of the increased demand for gas harvesters. The business closed in 1956.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    In the early 20th century, the Central Valley was a leading producer of grain. The Harris collection shows the progression of agricultural harvesting, from horse-drawn machinery to the gas combine harvester. Of special significance are the photos and blueprint of the Side Hill Harvester, a Harris original.
    The collection is comprised of business papers, including patents, Articles of Incorporation, Transfer of Ownership, as well as some items on equipment specifications and ledger notes. There are newspaper and journal articles ranging from 1929 to 1995. The more than 50 photographs include views of machinery, buildings, Mr. Harris, staff, and workers.

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
    Grain - Harvesting machines
    Harvesting - California - San Joaquin County