A collection of printing published by the Bauhaus from 1919 to 1933, designed by Bauhaus teachers and students for internal
school purposes and for outside commercial use, as well as other printing relating to the Bauhaus. The collection comprises
a wide variety of printed matter, from ephemeral publications to whole issues of periodicals and exhibition catalogs, which
are exemplary of what became identified as Bauhaus style typography and design. Most items were designed by Herbert Bayer,
László Moholy-Nagy, Oskar Schlemmer, and Joost Schmidt. Other designers represented in this collection include Josef Albers,
Erich Comeriner, Lyonel Feininger, Paul Häberer, Dörte Helm, and Xanti Schawinsky.
The Bauhaus was known for its innovative teaching methods and new approach towards art, architecture, and crafts. It was founded
in 1919 in Weimar with the city's financial support. In 1928, due to loss of funding, it moved to Dessau where it remained
in operation until 1932. The school reopened for a short time in Berlin, but was closed in 1933 by the newly formed Nazi government.
László Moholy-Nagy attempted to revive Bauhaus teachings in Chicago in 1937.
2.92 linear feet
Library Reproductions and Permissions.
Open for use by qualified researchers.