The Greene & Greene Virtual Archives (GGVA) contains images of drawings, sketches, photographs, correspondence, and other
historical documents related to the work of the architects Greene & Greene.
Charles Sumner Greene was born on October 12, 1868, to Lelia Ariana Mather Greene and Thomas Sumner Greene in Cincinnati,
Ohio. Fifteen months later, on January 23, 1870, Henry Mather Greene was born. The family later moved to St. Louis where,
as teenagers, Charles and Henry attended Calvin Woodward's Manual Training School of Washington University, which offered
a revolutionary curriculum based on the education of the hand as well as the mind. This early training was the primary source
of the brothers' focus on tools, materials, and craftsmanship. In 1888, the brothers enrolled in the architectural program
at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston. In 1891, both brothers completed their studies with Certificates of
Partial Course, the two-year program followed by most MIT architecture students. They then apprenticed with several of the
finest architectural firms in Boston, including those whose principals had been associates of the noted Henry Hobson Richardson.
Charles and Henry Greene are widely considered to have brought high-art aesthetics and exquisite craftsmanship to the American
Arts and Crafts Movement in the early part of the 20th century. Their work continues to be exhibited worldwide and is included
in decorative arts collections in museums in the United States and throughout Europe. Greene & Greene designs strongly influenced
California's architectural heritage. Their work has had international significance as well, inspiring countless architects
and designers around the world through a legacy of extant structures, scholarly books and articles. They were recognized
by the American Institute of Architects in 1952 for contributing to a "new and native architecture" and are generally credited
with fostering a new way of considering buildings and their furnishings as examples of artistic craft.
Total 3,823 images available for viewing on the Internet
Avery Fine Arts Library, Columbia University (1822 images); Environmental Design Archives, University of California, Berkeley
(941 images); The Gamble House/Greene & Greene Archives, University of Southern California (1060 images)
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the
repository holding the particular item.
Refer to individual repositories for access materials.