The records of the California Highway Commission consists of 157 cubic feet of textual records with selected photographs interfiled
reflecting the Commission's study, review, planning, and funding of California's highway projects. The records, dated from
1911-1978, cover the entire period of the Commission's existence and their efforts to extend, improve, and maintain state
The first state agencies formed for the purpose of constructing roadways were established in 1895. In that year, the Bureau
of Highways was created to study the laws, physical features, and economic and legal status of highways in the State (Stats.
1895, ch. 203). In addition, a Tahoe Wagon Road Commissioner was appointed to investigate the possibilities of construction
of a road to Lake Tahoe (Stats. 1895, ch. 128). In 1897, the Department of Highways (headed by three Commissioners, reduced
to one in 1898) assumed the functions of the Bureau of Highways (Stats. 1897, ch. 272). Both the functions of the Department
of Highways and the Lake Tahoe Wagon Road Commissioner were absorbed into the Department of Engineering in 1907 (Stats. 1907,
ch. 183). Highway work was handled by a subdivision of the Engineering Department called the Highway Department.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
Collection is open for research.