Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the University of California, Santa Barbara, Faculty Women's Club Records
UArch 97  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (84.59 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access Restrictions
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms
  • Related Material
  • Separated Material

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: University of California, Santa Barbara, Faculty Women's Club Records
    Dates: 1941-1999
    Collection number: UArch 97
    Creator: University of California, Santa Barbara. Faculty Women's Club
    Collection Size: 3.1 linear feet (5 document boxes, 1 half-sized document box and 4 flat oversize boxes)
    Repository: University of California, Santa Barbara. Library. Dept. of Special Collections
    Santa Barbara, CA 93106
    Abstract: The Faculty Women's Club records are arranged by subject and contains membership lists, minutes, presidential files, financial and social records, histories, publications, event files, and scrapbooks.
    Physical location: Del Sur, University Archives, 26A (boxes 1-6), 30B (boxes 7-10).
    Languages: English

    Access Restrictions

    None.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to the Department of Special Collections, UCSB. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Department of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained.

    Preferred Citation

    University of California, Santa Barbara Faculty Women's Club records. UArch 97. Department of Special Collections, Davidson Library, University of California, Santa Barbara.

    Acquisition Information

    Undetermined.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    "In 1941, wives of faculty members, and some female and retired faculty who were also wives of faculty, organized a social group at Santa Barbara State College, a forerunner of the University of California at Santa Barbara, which they called the Faculty Wives' Club. The group, which had 42 charter members, met monthly for social activities. In 1944, the institution became Santa Barbara College of the University of California, and in 1958 it became the University of California at Santa Barbara. The Faculty Wives' Club also changed in the '50s to include women faculty and women administrators, as well as wives of faculty and administrators, and took the new name of UCSB Faculty Women's Club. Although the focus of the club was primarily social, it was the only organization available to further contact among the varied segments of the university community.
    "Since 1958, the members of the club have instituted numerous outreach activities. The founding and funding of an undergraduate scholarship account with the UCSB Foundation has been the major focus in recent years. The scholarships, awarded yearly primarily on the basis of academic excellence and promise, are funded by the interest earned from this account. Each year one of the scholarships is given in memory of Edna Hatlen, a FWC past president and force behind the formation of the scholarship fund. [...]
    "The members also tutor and help acquaint foreign visitors and students and their spouses to the University and to Santa Barbara. The group is also proud of its efforts to acquaint newcomers to the University and the city through its many organized activities and interest groups. Several times each year there is a special meeting with speakers or panels on varying subjects or visits to UCSB departments or labs. For two years the Club has had an Entrepreneurial Women series. [...]
    "As the University has changed so has the Faculty Women's Club. In the 50 years since its inception, the Club has grown to over 350 members, and has changed its focus from a social club to an organization of women, diverse in background and profession, bound by their association with the University, who promote, educate, and do service for the University and the community."
    From "History of the UCSB Faculty Women's Club," 1991, box 2, folder 8.
    The collection is arranged by subject and contains membership lists, minutes, presidential files, financial and social records, histories, publications, event files, and scrapbooks.
    For more information, see the Faculty Women's Club website: http://www.fwc.ucsb.edu/ 

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
    University of California, Santa Barbara. Faculty Women's Club

    Related Material

    Faculty Women's Club Newsletter and Faculty Women's Club Bulletin in University Archives Serials.
    Faculty Club collection, UArch 98.
    Faculty Club Newsletter in University Archives Serials.
    Faculty Club file in Office of Public Information subject files, UArch 12.
    Faculty Women file in Office of the Chancellor, Chancellor's records, UArch 17.
    Women's Center collection, UArch 44.
    UCSB Faculty Women's Club website: http://www.fwc.ucsb.edu/ 
    For a similar organization within the UC system, see also the UCLA Faculty Women's Club records in UCLA's University Archives.

    Separated Material

    Faculty Women's Club Newsletter and Faculty Women's Club Bulletin, separated from collection to University Archives Serials.