The collection consists of school district orders and receipts.
Santa Clara County public schools were first created in 1853. In 1855, the superintendent was made a separate elected office.
Funding and attendance were the foremost issues as the number of schools increased through the 1870s. The majority of school
orders in this collection were placed in 1883, while Lemuel Chipman served as superintendent.
The Archives can claim physical ownership only for some collections. Users are responsible for securing permission of the
copyright holder for publication or quotation.
Collection is open for research.