The design of the seal of the County of Santa Clara has evolved over the years. In 1852, the Board of Supervisors adopted
as its seal the County Superior Court. By 1880, the Board of Supervisors adopted a stone bridge design. It was officially
adopted in 1887 and several changes and revisions were made. In 1940, Former Sheriff Doug Hornbuckle designed the Valley of
Heart's Delight County Seal. This seal was used extensively on sheriff's vehicles and badges until 1989 when the Department
of Corrections was created (Wyman, 1990).