The La Purisima Mission State Historic Park Collection contains correspondence, administrative materials, architectural records,
committee documents, news clippings, reports, and financial materials documenting the restoration of the mission beginning
in 1934. In addition, the collection includes records of the Citizen's Advisory Committee, a civic group that played a major
role in the restoration process along with the personal papers of its key leaders Pearl Chase, M. R. Harrington, Edith Webb,
and Glen Main. The collection also contains original mission records, in English and Spanish, including annual and biannual
reports, correspondence, inventory lists, and books of confirmations, burials, marriages, and baptisms, ranging from 1787
to 1851. Materials in this collection range from 1787-2002 with the majority dedicated to the mission's existence as a public
institution from its initial restoration by the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1933 to 1941, and continued restoration through
Mision La Concepcion Purisima de Maria Santisima was founded by Franciscan Padre Fermin de Lasuen on December 8, 1787, the
Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Originally built at Rio Santa Rosa, it was the eleventh Spanish mission established in
California and one of three in the Santa Barbara region working to convert the Chumash Indians.
Property rights reside with the California Department of Parks and Recreation. Literary rights are retained by the creators
of the records and their heirs. For permission to reproduce or to publish, please contact the California Department of Parks
and Recreation, La Purisima Mission State Historic Park.