Collection consists of the items placed in the time capsule by Jane L. Stanford and interred at the cornerstone laying of
the library on November 2, 1898. Included are university circulars and registers, entrance exams, commencement programs, photograph
of T. W. Stanford, letter by Jane L. Stanford, Bible, crucifix, newspapers of the day, and coins.
Thomas Welton Stanford, Leland Stanford's younger brother, reassigned half of his bequest from Leland Stanford's will to Jane
Stanford, who used the funds to build a new library. It was one of the first buildings to be completed in the construction
of the outer Quadrangle.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
This collection is open for research.