The records comprise press releases issued by the J. Paul Getty Museum, 1954-1997, and the J. Paul Getty Trust, 1983-2006.
The press releases document the events and activities the Getty wished to publicize to the media.
The J. Paul Getty Trust's origins date to 1953, when J. Paul Getty established the J. Paul Getty Museum as a California charitable
trust to house his growing art collections. Originally a small, private institution located in Mr. Getty's ranch house in
Malibu, the museum moved to the newly constructed Villa in grounds adjacent to the ranch house in 1974. When most of Mr. Getty's
personal estate passed to the Trust in 1982, the Trustees decided that, given the size of the endowment, it should make a
greater contribution to the visual arts and humanities than the museum could alone. Out of this resolve grew an expanded commitment
to the arts in the general areas of scholarship, conservation, and education. This took the shape of new programs including
the Center for the History of Art and Humanities (GCHAH), Art History Information Institute (AHIP), Conservation Institute,
Grant Program, and Center for Education in the Arts (GCEA). Smaller programs include the Museum Management Institute (MMI),
a joint venture with the Art Museum Association of America, and the Program for Art on Film, a joint venture with the Metropolitan
Museum of Art. In 1983 the Trust's corporate name was changed from the J. Paul Getty Museum to the J. Paul Getty Trust to
reflect its broader scope, with the museum becoming an operating program of the Trust. On December 16, 1997 the Getty Center,
a new unified facility housing all Getty programs, was opened in Brentwood, CA.