This collection pertains to Turner's research and writing on the architecture of Stanford University, focusing primarily on
the Quad, the museum, and Hanna House, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Included are photocopies of research documents, articles,
copy prints of historic photographs, modern photographs, reports, correspondence, drafts of Turner's writings and the final
publications. Hanna House materials are largely about seismic repairs following the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. There are
a few original historic documents in the collection, including the 1886 booklet THE LELAND STANFORD JR. UNIVERSITY MUSEUM
ORIGIN AND DESCRIPTION; Lorenz Eitner's, "The Development of the Stanford Museum 1964-1984"; and an 1887 print "The Leland
Stanford Junior University Now in the Course of Construction at Palo Alto, Cala."
Paul V. Turner, trained as an architect and art historian, has been on the faculty of Stanford's Dept. of Art and Art History
since 1971. His publications include THE EDUCATION OF LE CORBUSIER; THE FOUNDERS & THE ARCHITECTS: THE DESIGN OF STANFORD
UNIVERSITY; and CAMPUS: AN AMERICAN PLANNING TRADITION. He chaired the university committee overseeing the repair of Frank
Lloyd Wright's Hanna House, badly damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, and in 2001 received the Lloyd W. Dinkelspiel
Award for distinctive contributions to undergraduate education.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
This collection is open for research.