Guide to the Stanford University Photographs
Stanford University. Libraries. Department of Special Collections and University ArchivesOctober 2011
Copyright © 2015 The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.
This encoded finding aid is compliant with Stanford EAD Best Practice Guidelines, Version 1.0.
Call Number: PC0128
Creator: Stanford University
Title: Stanford University photographs
Dates: 1888-circa 1965
Physical Description: 1 Linear feet
Language(s): The materials are in English.
Repository: Department of Special Collections and University Archives
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-6064
Phone: (650) 725-1022
Administrative transfer, 1994.
These photographs were originally held by the Stanford Museum. Some of the images are also represented in other photographic collections within the University Archives; where possible, those that are duplicates of images in the Stanford Historical Photograph Collection have been identified.
These images primarily document Stanford buildings, including the Quad, the 1900 Library, the library and gymnasium that were destroyed in the 1906 earthquake, Memorial Church, Memorial Arch and the museum. Other subjects include the Cactus Garden, the Angel of Grief, Palm Drive, and the Entrance Gates. Some images of the Quad are stamped on the reverse with “F. L. Olmsted & Co.” Two images of note are the University Mayfield Brass Band, ca. 1900, whose musicians included one African American; and an armed man on guard duty on campus after the 1906 earthquake.
University Mayfield Brass Band.