Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Stanford University Photographs
PC0128  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.80 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview
  • Administrative Information
  • Biographical/Historical note
  • Scope and Contents note
  • Access Terms

  • Overview

    Call Number: PC0128
    Title: Stanford University photographs
    Dates: 1888-ca. 1965
    Physical Description: 1 linear foot
    Language(s): In English.
    Repository: Dept. of Special Collections and University Archives
    Stanford University Libraries
    557 Escondido Mall
    Stanford, CA 94305-6064
    Email: speccollref@stanford.edu
    Phone: (650) 725-1022
    URL: http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/spc/spc.html

    Administrative Information

    Provenance

    Administrative transfer, 1994.

    Biographical/Historical note

    These photographs were originally held by the Stanford Museum. Some of the images are also represented in other photographic collections within the University Archives; where possible, those that are duplicates of images in the Stanford Historical Photograph Collection have been identified.

    Scope and Contents note

    These images primarily document Stanford buildings, including the Quad, the 1900 Library, the library and gymnasium that were destroyed in the 1906 earthquake, Memorial Church, Memorial Arch and the museum. Other subjects include the Cactus Garden, the Angel of Grief, Palm Drive, and the Entrance Gates. Some images of the Quad are stamped on the reverse with “F. L. Olmsted & Co.” Two images of note are the University Mayfield Brass Band, ca. 1900, whose musicians included one African American; and an armed man on guard duty on campus after the 1906 earthquake.

    Access Terms

    Stanford University--Buildings.
    University Mayfield Brass Band.
    Photoprints