The Caltech Historical Files is an extensive collection related to the history of the institute. Included are files on academic
divisions and programs, accreditation, administration, alumni, the Athenaeum, awards and celebrations, the calendar of events,
campus development, conferences, cultural events, the curriculum, defense projects, faculty and individuals, the Jet Propulsion
Laboratory, local history, musical and dramatic productions, organizations, physical plant, publications, public relations,
reports, societies and honors, students, and wartime activities.
The California Institute of Technology developed from a local school of arts and crafts founded in Pasadena in 1891 by the
Honorable Amos G. Throop. Initially named Throop University, it was later renamed Throop Polytechnic Institute. Known as the
California Institute of Technology since 1920, it has enjoyed the support of the citizens of Pasadena, and as early as 1908
the Board of Trustees had as members Dr. Norman Bridge, Arthur H. Fleming, Henry M. Robinson, J. A. Culbertson, C. W. Gates,
and Dr. George Ellery Hale. The dedication by these men, of their time, their minds, and their fortunes, transformed a modest
vocational school into a university capable of attracting to its faculty some of the most eminent of the world's scholars
Copyright may not have been assigned to the California Institute of Technology Archives. All requests for permission to publish
or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of the Archives. Permission for publication is given on
behalf of the California Institute of Technology Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include
or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.