Stockton State Hospital first opened its doors in 1851, and remained a functioning state hospital until 1995. The records
of the Department of Mental Hygiene-Stockton State Hospital cover the years 1852-1994 and consist of over 130 bound volumes,
one cubic foot of textual records, and over 2,300 photographic prints, negatives and slides.
Stockton State Hospital first opened its doors in 1851. Established just one year after the California entered the United
States, and just a few years after the Gold Rush, state lawmakers worked to create a hospital that would provide general care
to the tremendous number of residents that had recently moved into the northern regions of the state. Though Stockton served
as an effective general hospital in its early years, lawmakers soon realized that citizens with mental health concerns also
needed proper facilities.
132 bound volumes, 17 file folders, 247 photographs, 520 photographic negatives, 1554 photographic slides, and 1 audiocassette
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
While the majority of the records are open for research, any access restrictions are noted in the record series descriptions.