Guide to the University Archives Photographs Collection
Guide to the University Archives Photographs Collection, ca. 1891-1995 [bulk dates 1950s-1980s]
Collection number: UArch 112Department of Special Collections
University of California, Santa Barbara
- Processed by:
- Preliminary arrangement and description by Special Collections staff; latest revision A. Demeter
- Date Completed:
- Aug. 4, 2010
- Latest Revision:
- May 1, 2012
- Encoded by:
- A. Demeter
- Office of Public Information biographical files, UArch 11, has a large photograph series containing portraits of UCSB faculty and administrators.
- Office of Public Information subject files, UArch 12, has a photograph series that covers many of the same subjects in this collection, but are linked to specific subject files.
- Home Economics Club collection, UArch 105 – Contains many scrapbooks with photos of students.
- UCSB History and Antecedents collection, UArch 100 – Contains many scrapbooks with photos of students, student groups, campus, and the Child Development Laboratory.
- Community Conservation and Development Collection (CDCC), SBHC Mss 1 – Also known as the Pearl Chase collection. Contains large series of photographs, including images of Santa Barbara, Goleta, Isla Vista, and Santa Barbara City College.
- Isla Vista Archives, SBHC Mss 41 – Contains series of photographs of people (including students), places, and events of Isla Vista.
- Santa Barbara and Suburban Railway Photographs, SC 844 – Collection of four black and white photos showing Miss Ednah A. Rich, President of the State Normal School, being presented with a spike maul, which she used to drive the golden spike at the end of the Normal School Extension of the Santa Barbara & Suburban Railway, Nov. 6, 1913.
- Walker A. Tompkins collection, SBHC Mss 19 – Contains series of photographs, including images of Santa Barbara, Goleta, and UCSB.
- La Cumbre yearbook – Includes photos of students, campus, and sometimes faculty and staff. Main Library & Special Collections Reading Room LD800 .S35L.
- UCSB 1970-71 [cartographic material]. Aerial photograph in poster format of the campus and area surrounding the University of California, Santa Barbara. Map & Imagery Lab 3853 .S3:282:2U5 A4 1970 .U5.
- University of California at the century [electronic resource]. Karen Sinsheimer, project co-director ; Therese Heyman, project co-director ; Stan Nicholson, administrative director ; Cathy Pollock, coordinator ; Steven Brown, creative director and designer. Map & Imagery Lab and Special Collections LD729.8 .U557 2001.
Series I: Photographs
Morse, Ednah Rich, c. 1898-1916
Morse, Ednah Rich – Friends and family, 1915-1916, n.d.
Blake, Anna S.C., 1897, n.d.
Blake Manual Training School, c. 1891-1917
Buildings – Exterior, c. 1912-1929
Buildings – Interior, 1915, n.d.
Postcards, c. 1944-1954
Administrators, 1944, 1947, n.d.
Faculty and Staff, 1941-1961, n.d.
Ceremonies, c. 1913-1951
Events, c. 1912-1952
Students – Music, c. 1915-1936
Students – Theater, c. 1915-1936
Students – Activities, 1915, 1951, n.d.
Students – General, c. 1917-1953
Displays of student work, 1915, n.d.
Buildings, 1943, n.d.
Events, c. 1949-1954
Faculty, c. 1953-1954
Drama Department, c. 1952-1953
Home Economics, c. 1949-1954
Student life, c. 1942-1954
Early aerial view of Goleta Campus Marine Base, c. 1953-1959
Marine Base, 1948-1950, n.d.
Goleta Campus prior to construction
Goleta Campus under construction, c. 1952-1959
Air views of campus, c. 1963-1985
UCSB Campus – General, c. 1963-1979
Storke Campus, c. 1968-1970
Beach, c. 1949-1978
Students on campus, c. 1950s-1960s
Bicycles, c. 1981-1987
Architects and Engineers, c. 1953-1971
Computer Center, 1965-1966
Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
Financial Aid, c. 1983-1987
Misc. administrators, 1948
Regents, c. 1948-1973
Staff – General, 1974-1981
University Relations with Schools, 1982
Public Affairs Publication Offices, 1985-1989
UCSB Fire Department
Anacapa Residence Hall
Arts Building, 1962-1966, n.d.
Broida Hall (Physics), 1966, n.d.
Campbell Hall, 1962-1971, n.d.
Centennial House, 1969
Central Lab for Radioactive Materials
Cheadle Hall, 1964-1974, n.d.
Chemistry Building, c. 1966
Cliff House – Building 446, Faculty Club (original)
Counseling and Career Center
Dining Commons, 1954-1959, n.d.
Ellison Hall, 1968-1969
Engineering Building I, c. 1967-1985
Events Center, 1976, n.d.
Financial Aid – Warshaw Mural Building, 1972
Francisco Torres Residence Hall
Learning Resources, 1973, n.d.
Marine Biology, 1965, n.d.
Married Student Housing
Misc. buildings, c. 1962-1988
Music Building, c. 1956-1969
Noble Hall (Biological Sciences building), 1966-1968
North Hall, 1962-1966, n.d.
Old Gym / Swimming Pool
Phelps Hall (East), 1964-1969
Residence Halls – Off-campus, c. 1981
Robertson Gym, 1967-1968, n.d.
San Miguel Residence Hall, 1962-1972, n.d.
San Nicolas Residence Hall, 1962-1965, n.d.
San Rafael Residence Hall, 1966-1968
Santa Cruz Residence Hall, 1957, n.d.
Santa Rosa Residence Hall, 1966, n.d.
Snidecor Hall (Speech and Drama building), c. 1966-1967
South Hall, 1967, n.d.
Storke Tower – Bell production, c. 1969
Storke Tower – Construction, 1968-1969
Storke Tower – Plaza, 1988, n.d.
Storke Tower – Thomas Storke, 1968-1969
Student Health Center
University Center, 1966-1967, n.d.
University Center – Construction, c. 1965-1966
University Center – Interior, c. 1966-1980
Webb Hall (Science Building), c. 1954-1967
Anthropology / Archeology Department, 1982, n.d.
Art Department – Faculty, 1953-1986
Art Department – Students, 1980-1988, n.d.
Arts and Lectures Department, 1965-1986
Art Museum, c. 1984
Biological Sciences, 1948-1983
Chemistry Department, c. 1962-1968
Computer Science Department, 1981-1984
Counseling Department, 1984-1985
Creative Studies Department
Dance Department, 1953-1954, 1969
Drama Department, 1958-1988
Education Department, c. 1950-1964
Education Abroad (EAP), 1985, n.d.
Engineering Department, 1960-1988
English Department, 1956
Geology Department, c. 1954-1961
Home Economics Department, 1954-1957
Marine Science Institute, c. 1954-1983
Military Science / ROTC Department, c. 1952-1957
Misc. departments, c. 1956-1965
Physics Department, 1983-1984, n.d.
Speech and Drama Department, 1955-1956
Charter Day, 1960
Charter Day, 1962-1963
Charter Day, 1966-1969
Commencement ceremonies, 1962-1972
Commencement ceremonies, 1973-1977
Commencement ceremonies, 1978
Commencement ceremonies, 1980-1986
Engineering Week, c. 1979-1986
Lectures, c. 1963-1966
UCSB Inauguration, Mar. 28, 1955
University Day / College Day & Super Saturday / Open House, 1953-1987
Unit I groundbreaking construction, 1952-1954
Unit I and II exterior, 1953-1988
Unit I and II interior, 1952-1954
Unit III construction – Exterior, 1966-1970
Unit III interior, 1984-1985, n.d.
Unit IV construction, 1975-1977
Unit IV interior, 1975-1988
Unit IV exterior, 1978-1980
Events and visitors, 1955-1995
Dedication renaming, Nov. 1993
Hungarian books presentation, 1985
1 Million Volume Celebration (1973), 1968, 1973
2 Million Volume Celebration, 1991
M. Mitchel Chair / Friends of the Library
Friends of the Library honoring Mary Cheadle, c. 1990s
Cheadle, Mary – Room dedication
Staff picnic, 1993
Arts and Music Library, 1974-1980
Coleccion and Black Studies, c. 1980
Curriculum Lab, 1974-1980
Inter-Library Loans (ILL)
Map and Imagery Laboratory (MIL), 1977, n.d.
Newspaper Room, 1973, n.d.
Oriental Collection, 1977-1980
Reference Department, 1974-1980
Sciences Engineering Library (SEL), 1974-1980
Serials, c. 1954-1977
Patrons, 1973-1974, n.d.
Busts, paintings, 1972, n.d.
CDCC Open House, June 9, 1974
Corle Awards, 1964-1968
Corle Awards, 1971-1977
Corle Awards, 1978-1990
Events – General, 1959
Lehmann room, 1969-1973
Exhibits, c. 1976-1991
Lobby, stacks, c. 1970-1980
Maximus Collection, 1985
Misc. staff and events, 1993
Monaghan, Jay, 1954-1975
Bukowski, Charles – Rudge
Cushing, Anne, c. 1969
Lincoln-Junkin Letter Mural
Rudge, William Edwin
Soundings illustrations, 1987
Skofield, Hobart, 1971-1985
Sweet [Robert] Collection, 1979
Special Collections – Misc. materials, people
Music students, 1954-1986
General Catalog, 1984-1985
Fitness Center, c. 1984
Football, 1988, n.d.
Rowing, 1988, n.d.
Sailing, c. 1968
Swimming, 1962, n.d.
Tennis, 1975, n.d.
Track and Field, 1988, n.d.
Volleyball, 1988, n.d.
Misc. sports, 1950-1988
Activities, c. 1936-1983
Beach scenes, c. 1950-1967
Classroom scenes, c. 1955-1984
Concerned Students, 1993
Disabled Students, c. 1972-1981
Greek Life, 1953-1967
Minorities, c. 1969-1985
Project Pakistan, 1963
Residential Life, 1955-1985
Students (Color), 1988
Storke Plaza events
UCEN – Pub, Nicoletti's
Distinguished visitors, 1952-1985
Riviera Campus distinguished visitors
Soviet Higher Education Delegation, Nov. 1974
Aerial views, c. 1960-1967
Buildings, 1965, n.d.
Events (Commencement), 1985, n.d.
Ansel Adams prints for Fiat Lux (vault), 1967
Misc. faculty, students, departments, and campus photos, 1975, n.d.
Series II: Slides
Campus and Buildings
Campus Beach, 1956
Campus buildings, c. 1953-1978
Campus buildings – Construction, 1955-1968
Campus planning, 1967, 1989
General campus views, c. 1955-1958
Isla Vista, 1962
Departments and Offices
Anthropology Department, 1987
Art Studio Department, 1979
Biology Department, 1955-1956
Chemistry Department, c. 1956, 1985
Community Housing Office, 1982
Dance Department, 1964
Dining Hall, 1956
Home Economics Department, 1955
Industrial Art Department
Public Affairs Office – Campus publicity, c. 1985-1990
Special events (Including Campus Dedication, 1955), 1950s-1960s
University Day, 1986
Corle Contest, 1966
Library Two Million Volume Party
Donald C. Davidson Dedication, 1993
Special Collections CEMA exhibit
Friends treasures, 1990
Library Staff Christmas Party, 1976
Library Staff Party, 1969
Library Staff Picnic, 1970
Pearl Chase, 1974
Buildings & construction
Library interior, 1970
Construction – Planning
Library Unit I exterior, 1954-1958
Library Unit I interior, 1954
Library Unit II construction, 1961-1962
Library Unit III construction, 1966
Library Unit III exterior, 1966
Library Unit IV construction, 1977
Library Unit IV exterior, 1986
Students, 1954, 1984-1985
Students in classrooms, 1975
Students in classrooms – Curb Wittenberg Lecture
Students in Counseling
Students in Dining Commons
Students in dorms
Francisco Torres Dorms – Exterior with pool, 1986
Minority students, 1977, 1985-1986
Students studying, 1984-1985
Series III: Negatives
Original and copy negatives