Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Stanford University, Commission of Engineers, Records
SC0001  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (99.71 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Biographical / Historical
  • Scope and Contents
  • Processing Information
  • Related Materials
  • Immediate Source of Acquisition note
  • Information about Access
  • Ownership & Copyright
  • Cite As
  • Biographical/Historical Sketch

  • Language of Material: Undetermined
    Contributing Institution: Department of Special Collections and University Archives
    Title: Stanford University, Commission of Engineers, records
    creator: Stanford University. Commission of Engineers
    Identifier/Call Number: SC0001
    Physical Description: 2.5 Linear Feet (13 boxes)
    Date (inclusive): 1906-1908
    Abstract: The records of the Commission of Engineers, dating from 1906 to 1908, include correspondence, daily journal, estimates of repairs, reports, photographs, and negatives.

    Biographical / Historical

    The Commission of Engineers was charged with directing the restoration of the university's buildings after the earthquake of April 1906. The Commission, composed of Professors Charles D. Marx (civil engineering), Charles B. Wing (structural engineering), and William F. Durand (mechanical engineering), was appointed by the Board of Trustees in June 1906.

    Scope and Contents

    Records of the University's Commission of Engineers responsible for the reconstruction of Stanford University buildings after the 1906 earthquake. Includes correspondence, the Commission's daily journals, photographs, negatives, and estimates of repairs.

    Processing Information

    The original group of records, Box 1 through Box 5, folder 4, were processed in January 1965. Additional progress reports in Box 5, folders 5 and 6, were added in May 1972. In March 1995, the photographic negatives and prints in Boxes 6 through 13 were added to the records.

    Related Materials

    Related materials may be found in SC 27 (Board of Trustees Supporting Documents), Box 1, folder for August 1, 1906, and in SC 28 (Horace Davis papers), Box 5, folder 37.

    Immediate Source of Acquisition note

    Administrative transfer, 1965.

    Information about Access

    This collection is open for research.

    Ownership & Copyright

    All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
    Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

    Cite As

    Stanford University, Commission of Engineers, Records (SC0001). Dept. of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.

    Biographical/Historical Sketch

    The Commission of Engineers was charged with directing the restoration of the university's buildings after the earthquake of April 1906. The Commission, composed of Professors Charles D. Marx (civil engineering), Charles B. Wing (structural engineering), and William F. Durand (mechanical engineering), was appointed by the Board of Trustees in June 1906.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Photonegatives
    San Francisco Earthquake and Fire, Calif., 1906
    Photoprints.
    Journals.
    Stanford University. Commission of Engineers
    Durand, William Frederick
    Wing, Charles B.
    Marx, Charles David
    Stanford University. Commission of Engineers