The collection consists of photographs,
newspaper clippings, and a 1946 annual report related to the Chinese Christian
Center from 1935 to 1954.
The Chinese Christian Center began as the Chinese Methodist Episcopal
Mission which was established as a Methodist Home Mission Project on Hunter
Street in Stockton, California in 1905. In 1925 the Mission moved to Lafayette
Street and was renamed the Chinese Christian Center in 1941. From 1930-1934 Lim
P. Lee was the student pastor of the Mission and was responsible for starting
the Boy Scout troop which led to the eventual formation of a boys' club at the
local YMCA. Lee was a former student of Rev. Dr. George H. Colliver, who was a
professor at the College of the Pacific. In 1936 Dr. Colliver took leadership
of the Mission when he was appointed pastor from 1936-1949. Bishop Wilbur Wong
Yan Choy was the Associate Pastor of the Center from 1943-1949 and pastor from
1954-1959. In 1955 the Center moved to South San Joaquin Street.
Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as
the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply
permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the
Collection open for research.