The collection is composed of military manuals created by the British, German, and Soviet military and translated into Polish
for the needs of the Polish Armed Forces in the East. Manuals are individually listed within 18 different series. Each series
is representative of a topic within which corresponding manuals have been arranged. The topics covered are: artillery, anti-aircraft
artillery, anti-armored artillery, chemical weapons, armored weapons, firearm, air force, communication, landing operations,
soldier welfare, infantry, combat engineering, supply services, topography, and transport.
The Armia Polska na Wschodzie (Polish Army in the East) was created on September 12th, 1942, by the direct order from the
Commander-in-Chief of the Polish Armed Forces, General Władysław Sikorski. It was created through the merger of the Wojsko
Polskie na Środkowym Wschodzie (Polish Army in the Middle East) and Armia Polska w ZSRR (Polish Army in the USSR). Per the
order of Sikorski, General Władysław Anders was appointed as the commander of the force. Operationally, the forces were subject
to the British, PAI (Persia and Iraq) force command. In June 1943, Armia Polska na Wschodzie became known as the Polish II
Corps and was moved to Egypt and subsequently to the Italian front, where it helped the allies fight the Nazi Germany forces,
including at the Battle of Monte Cassino.
40 manuscript boxes
(16 linear feet)
For copyright status, please contact the Hoover Institution Archives.
Collection is open for research.