Guide to the Stanford Women's Club Records

compiled by Stanford University Archives staff
Stanford University. Libraries. Department of Special Collections and University Archives
Stanford, California
April 2011
Copyright © 2014 The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.

Note

This encoded finding aid is compliant with Stanford EAD Best Practice Guidelines, Version 1.0.


Overview

Call Number: SC0491
Creator: Stanford Women's Club.
Title: Stanford Women's Club records
Dates: 1910-1973
Physical Description: 1.5 Linear feet (3 boxes)
Summary: The records include minutes, bylaws, financial records, correspondence, articles on Clubhouse history, and miscellaneous programs and clippings.
Language(s): The materials are in English.
Repository: Department of Special Collections and University Archives
Green Library
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-6064
Email: speccollref@stanford.edu
Phone: (650) 725-1022
URL: http://library.stanford.edu/spc

Administrative Information

Information about Access

This collection is open for research; materials must be requested at least 48 hours in advance of intended use.

Ownership & Copyright

All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

Cite As

[Identification of Item], Stanford Women's Club Records (SC0491). Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.

Biographical/Historical Sketch

The Stanford Women's Club was incorporated in 1910 by a group of Stanford alumnae to continue earlier efforts on the part of students and faculty toward establishing a women's building on campus. The partially completed building, known as the Women's Clubhouse, was opened in February 1915. In 1966, the Women's Club deeded the Clubhouse over to the University. Since then, the Women's Club has concentrated on sponsoring a scholarship.

Description of the Collection

The records include minutes, bylaws, financial records, correspondence, articles on Clubhouse history, and miscellaneous programs and clippings. Volume two of the minutebooks includes a letter from Bertha Berner, Jane Stanford's personal secretary, concerning her gift of a portrait of Jane and Leland Stanford, 1944. Also of note is a journal kept during the construction of the Clubhouse, 1913-1914, with short entries on weather and the type of work being done.

Access Terms

Berner, Bertha.
Stanford Women's Club.
Women--California.
Women--Societies and clubs


Collection Contents

 

Records 1910-1973

Box 1, Folder 1

Bylaws 1910-1963

Bylaws, 1910-1963

Box 1, Folder 2

Minutebook 1910-1929

Minutebook, 1910-1929

Box 1, Folder 3

Minutebook 1929-1948

Minutebook, 1929-1948

Box 1, Folder 4

Loan papers 1915-1928

Box 2, Folder 1

Accounts 1908-1915

Box 2, Folder 2

Accounts 1915-1917

Box 2, Folder 3

Accounts 1918-1920

Box 2, Folder 4

Accounts 1920-1926

Box 2, Folder 5

Accounts 1927-1929

Box 2, Folder 6

Accounts with Monson Brothers, disputed 1915-1917

Box 2, Folder 7

Articles and talks pertaining to the Club and Clubhouse

Box 2, Folder 8

Clubhouse construction diary 1913-1914

Box 2, Folder 9

Clubhouse, summary of total costs 1933

Box 2, Folder 10

Correspondence 1948-1952

Box 2, Folder 11

Fundraising appeals 1910-1935

Box 2, Folder 12

Miscellaneous programs, etc. 1914-1973

Box 3, Folder 1

Account book 1915-1933

Box 3, Folder 2

Treasurer's Book, Volume II 1933-1957

Box 3, Folder 3

Financial Operations, Volume III 1956 Sep-1966 Aug 31