Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Stanford Women's Club Records
SC0491  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.78 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview
  • Administrative Information
  • Biographical/Historical Sketch
  • Description of the Collection
  • Access Terms

  • Overview

    Call Number: SC0491
    Creator: Stanford Women's Club.
    Title: Stanford Women's Club records
    Dates: 1910-1973
    Physical Description: 1.5 linear feet (3 boxes)
    Summary: The records include minutes, bylaws, financial records, correspondence, articles on Clubhouse history, and miscellaneous programs and clippings.
    Language(s): The materials are in English.
    Repository: Department of Special Collections and University Archives
    Stanford University Libraries
    557 Escondido Mall
    Stanford, CA 94305-6064
    Email: speccollref@stanford.edu
    Phone: (650) 725-1022
    URL: http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/spc/spc.html

    Administrative Information

    Information about Access

    This collection is open for research; materials must be requested at least 48 hours in advance of intended use.

    Ownership & Copyright

    All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
    Restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.

    Cite As

    [Identification of Item], Stanford Women's Club Records (SC0491). Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.

    Biographical/Historical Sketch

    The Stanford Women's Club was incorporated in 1910 by a group of Stanford alumnae to continue earlier efforts on the part of students and faculty toward establishing a women's building on campus. The partially completed building, known as the Women's Clubhouse, was opened in February 1915. In 1966, the Women's Club deeded the Clubhouse over to the University. Since then, the Women's Club has concentrated on sponsoring a scholarship.

    Description of the Collection

    The records include minutes, bylaws, financial records, correspondence, articles on Clubhouse history, and miscellaneous programs and clippings. Volume two of the minutebooks includes a letter from Bertha Berner, Jane Stanford's personal secretary, concerning her gift of a portrait of Jane and Leland Stanford, 1944. Also of note is a journal kept during the construction of the Clubhouse, 1913-1914, with short entries on weather and the type of work being done.

    Access Terms

    Berner, Bertha
    Stanford Women's Club.
    Women--California
    Women--Societies and clubs